Technical 500L Rear discs

Currently reading:
Technical 500L Rear discs

Steve71957

I need to change the rear discs and pads on my 500L trekker.

I haven't been able to find any info to date, giving on caliper bolt torque settings, or whether a standard brake caliper rewind tool will work ?

Any body done it, that can shed some light on it ?

Cheers

Steve

Hi there.
Replacing the discs is relatively easy. get the wheels loosened then jack the car off the ground. Be sure to use some link of stand to support the weight of the car. For the love of goodness don't rely on the jack to be stable enough to support the car when you start trying to get the components off the hub.
You will need a set of ring spanners or a combi-spanner of 13mm to get the brake caliper assembly of the hub. When that's done you'll need to remove the disc retaining studs from the front and then use a rubber or wooden mallet to loosen the disc from the hub.
Fitting the disc is the reverse of the take-down procedure.
Be advised that the one sticking point to all this is that the rear brake piston may not retract into the caliper body. I think this is because there is some internal part to do with the handbrake mechanism that stops it from happening. as far as torque wrench settings aare concerned its not to important just make sure the bolts are all tight. Put some "Locktight" thread sealer on the bolt threads where they go into the hub but you don't have to do that with the bolts to attach the brake caliper back onto the caliper body
Hope this helps.
Jock

Last edited:
Back