Doblo Engine leaking something?

Currently reading:
Doblo Engine leaking something?

Deano carper

Hi I’m new to the site and just bought a 63reg Doble 1.3 multijet and there is a clear oily fluid leaking from the left side of the engine as you open the bonnet. The fluid is clear but smells like oil but when checking the oil it’s not low, can anyone help?

Thanks Dean

Gonna need a bit more detail.

Fluids used in the vehicle:
Engine oil. Not usually clear. When new can be quite a light golden colour, but gets blacker quickly in a diesel. Sniff the dipstick for a comparison. Try not to get it on your nose. Not a good look.
Fuel. Can change colour according to quantity and light. Small quantities can be light yellowish, but a cupful will appear more blueish. Smells different. Stick your nose in the fuel filler for a comparison.
Coolant. Should be pink. Might be just water if previous owner didn't care about corrosion or freezing. Remove radiator reservoir cap when cold - very cold - and compare.
Brake fluid. Light yellowish. If rubbed between fingers will leave them feeling dry as the natural oils are removed!

You need to try to follow the leak to its highest point to find the origin. Might need to clean the area and look again after it has run a while. If you clean and dry it thoroughly, shake talcum powder over the potential areas, should highlight the leak point. And make it smell lovely.

See what you can do, and report back.

Thanks bill I will take a closer look tomorrow mate and try and find the source

I have attached a photo and it looks like the leak is from the silver curved pipe in the centre of the pic as it’s dripping directly below the grey rectangular box,

Thanks Dean

Attachments

• 1959D202-D3DB-41FF-998B-FE388ACD293F.jpeg
    1959D202-D3DB-41FF-998B-FE388ACD293F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
The problem with a close-up, is that without a similar vehicle to look at, there is no context.
Leak 'from' the pipe. Is it dripping off, or is there definitely a hole in the pipe. It could just be a conduit for the fluid to run along.
Follow the pipe upwards to find what it is attached to, and where the fluid is coming from. That'd be more useful.

Brake fluid is a possibility. Might just be overflow, if the pads have been replaced, caliper pistons pushed back, and fluid expelled into reservoir and overflowed.

When I check the oil and brake fluid levels they are not low which is odd, I will have a more detailed look now. Cheers Bill

Back