Tuning Uno mk2 1.0 FIRE

Currently reading:
Tuning Uno mk2 1.0 FIRE

ppettioooo

Hey guys,
is there anything i can do too boost up the performance of the 999cc FIRE engine?

Thanks in advance :)

In my country, if i change the engine, the car would be not roadworthy, so that is kinda out of the options.

That would seriously limit and/or complicate your possibilities.
We would need to know what is and what isn't allowed (or tolerated) in your country.
Maybe it helps to look into whatever tuning is being done to the 'formula 750' engines, which are the same 999cc's, but apperently get close to 100hp.

So everything else is possible, only i can`t change the block of the motor, i can change heads, cams, put turbo and so.

First of all it is important to know of your car has carbs or (will be converted to) injection. This has consequences for cams or turbo-setup.

If you are looking for a modest power increase and a tuned-feel, you can modify cam (e.g. 866, Newman, Colombo), exhausts, porting, ignition & fuel supply (remapped or carbs?). Depending on the specific changes you might gain some hp's, nothing dramatic, though every hp will feel like a lot in this car.
Depending on your local regulations/restrictions (specs or engine-number?), increasing bore to 72mm and 1368-8v pistons (and head?) might add roughly another 5%, but is more costly.

For more dramatic increases, use a turbo (more complicated with a carb-setup).

There is plenty of information about tuning these engines on this forum, the Guy croft website, and the internet in general.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information.

The car has carb and it is electronically injected (don`t know if that is bad or good thing :D), i believe some kind of weber 32 tlf but spi :confused:

Would like to do turbo, but may be impossible with that carburetor.
Is it possible to fit a 266 camshaft, which I think is the same as a Punto 75 mpi or a punto 60/75, uno 1.1 head?

A turbo is hard to get working with a carb since you cannot pressurise it, you would have to include injection for such a system (not as dramatic as it sounds, specially of you can aqcuire a complete 999-injected donor, together with loom).

Assuming it will stay carbed, the biggest increase can be expected from a bigger/double carb, together with a different cam, and a decent exhaust. If more increase is required, headwork (flowing) would be the next step.
The carb version has a lobe on the camshaft for the mechanical fuel pump, which limits your choice of cams, you could do a regrind or rebuild to electric fuel pump setup (with use of a fuel-return-line)

A lot is possible, and it is easy to make it overly expensive / complicated / riscfull on yourself. It all starts with clear and realistic goals and budgets. The availability and proces of 2nd hand or scrayard items may loosen restrictions a bit.

If you are looking for a small increase in power and get satisfaction in a bit of fiddling with your engine, try to buy a donor engine to start working on, while your runner starts on the road.
If you are looking for a substantial increase, hate dirty hands, or do not have substantial technical knowledge, simply buy a faster car (e.g. something with a 1.2-fire, 1.4-16v fire, or something faster alltogether)

(On the other hand, if you do like the fiddling and learning, the 8v-fire is a bomb-proof, easy, cheap and rewarding subject, with plenty of choice from standard part bins, available at your nearest scrapyard)

Last edited:
The car has electric fuel pump, i have a bit of technical knowledge, i can port the head myself.

I am more concerned about the ECU, can the OEM one be rechiped/retuned or i need standalone/piggyback ?

Will be looking for a spare 999cc motor, thanks for the advice :)

I don't know if the carb ECU can be remapped, but it doesn't do much for the carb anyway, mostly the fuel cut-off valve as far as i know... Nothing you need when you connect e.g. bike carbs, you will only be using the ecu for ignition.

Do you have restrictions regarding mot emissions you have to keep in mind?

We have restrictions yes, but i know a guy where i can go for mot emissions and they will be no problem.

The other strange thing is rev limiter is at 4800 rpm, how can this be raised or it depends on ecu, i know the engines are good for revving over 7k with appropriate valve springs.

Rev limiting at 4800rpm seems very weird to me, and much too early, seems simply faulty to me (or another problem?). Does it perform as it should below 4800, can you check with someone who owns a similar car?
Replacing ECU ignition with an other (preferably more modern, programmable) ignition unit does not have to be the biggest or most costly job.

I would try to solve this problem first before thinking about tuning.
Maybe you could use parts from the before mentioned donor engine/vehicle.

I already compared it to another car exactly like mine, his rev limiter is also set at 4800 rpm, the cars perform equally. Will try to find a programmable ECU that fits to my car, the problem is that it is using strange connector and the ECUs i find are no near that
ecu-motormanagement-fiat-uno-a6554-800x600.JPG

4800rpm is idiotically low, specially for this short stroke engine... please make SURE that it is really this unit which limits the revving. If it is, try replacing it with e.g. a 'west-european' unit, or 'rebuild' a different standard ignition (which may sound easier than it is, depending on parts availability and budget); a programmable ignition is probably too far out of budget for this project.
There is NO point in tuning an engine which is limited to 4800rpm...

(A tiny correction: i mentioned before that formula750 users this same engine, well: the don't, it is the 1108 engine)

I have mentioned purchasing a spare engine/head to start fiddling on, you might best use a 1108 head for this, since it has bigger valves (possibly a 1242 or P75 might also fit but I am not sure this would be ideal since it has slightly larger bore).

Last edited:
999cc engine is a nice and easy one to tune. A 866 cam from the punto 75 is a nice upgrade of a aftermarket cam. A nice manifold and bigger exhaust helps too. If you can port it your self do it, really makes a difference. And you have a distributor you can play with. i think 60hp should be really easy

I am from Bulgaria and I am sure that there is no problem to do an engine swap :D and parts from old fiats are more available compared to other countries like UK for example

Hello again guys,
I have started collecting some parts for the upgrades.
Got a brand new turbo from peugeot 308, 866 cam from punto 75 and some bits and bobs.

For fuel I will use LPG since it is a lot easier for me, bacause the car already has lpg and I do have Lovato turbo super reducer laying around.

Does anyone know what rods and pistons I can use without increasing bore size, or the stock ones are ok ? How much boost do they hold ?

It may take me some time to begin this project, as I am currently working and studying.

Attachments

• 50894844_392123924891775_4733532127490998272_n.jpg
    50894844_392123924891775_4733532127490998272_n.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 51454880_353582051939325_1778171887096954880_n.jpg
    51454880_353582051939325_1778171887096954880_n.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 50844697_797105023972027_407013825640923136_n.jpg
    50844697_797105023972027_407013825640923136_n.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 35
Back