Technical timing belt or chain?

Currently reading:
Technical timing belt or chain?

pkam

My fiat dealer,(a large area of rocky ground!) contacted me to tell me that my timing belt is needing to be changed due to age/miles 5 yr and 73k. I spoke with a pro mechanic to get an idea of the cost, he informed me the twin air does not have a belt but a chain and it will not need changing. Any comments please.

You've a Twinair in a 500L ? Surprised it will pull such a large car along.

Dealer letter will have been triggered automatically by their computer. This will be based on data against your vehicle, so presumably it thinks you have a 1.2 petrol engine.

Not anything to get upset about, just bin it. There is no reason to think the dealership service department are incompetent, it is just poor computer data.

We have a twin air 7 seater and have never had a problem with the power. 105bhp and plenty of torque. It's 110kg lighter than a diesel and returns great mpg. Perfect for city driving and cleaner than diesel. The news it has a timing chain is great to hear. It's a great engine.

pkam, Did you get information about the chain to be changed? Dont need to change?

Thanks

Back