Tuning 2015 Fiat Panda 1.2 8v

Currently reading:
Tuning 2015 Fiat Panda 1.2 8v

Hi there good people.

I have a really confusing question that I am hoping somebody can help me with.
I've recently purchased a vacuum / boost gauge that I am wanting to install.
I've also installed an aftermarket cold air intake and also a oil catch can.

Now this is the silly question maybe, what vacuum line do I connect the gauge to to get a reading? because of the oil catch can installation and the aftermarket cold air intake I've installed, I only see two lines open, one by the top of the tappet cover,(which is connected to the oil catch can) and the other one near the electronic throttle body,(which is a thinner line) but when i install it there, the gauge doesnt move, unless i completely block off the line on the otherside with a screw.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Pictures please.. something doesn't seem right.. so you now have a line going from vacum to atmosphere?

Hi.
A vacuum gauge should be tapped in to the inlet manifold side of the throttle butterfly. Probably not the easiest thing to do. There is a thin breather pipe from the air box to a manifold connection but this is to allow the engine to suck in fumes at tick over so should be connected at all times. You could connect the gauge there temporarily for a test. Connecting it to the brake servo pipe with a T piece is not recommended as it won't be accurate due to variations when braking and you are interfering with a safety related item so this could effect insurance and of course braking effect.

I only see two lines open, one by the top of the tappet cover,(which is connected to the oil catch can) and the other one near the electronic throttle body,(which is a thinner line) but when i install it there, the gauge doesnt move, unless i completely block off the line on the otherside with a screw.

They are both breathers.
The larger one on top of the cam cover is the crankcase breather.
The smaller one is a breather/balancer for the throttle body.

As written, you'll need to tap the inlet manifold.

Hi. I have no idea as to how to load pictures... hehe.
If you would be so kind as to tell me how to do so,I will most gladly attach pictures. As I am not sure as to how to connect it correctly.

Hi.
Press reply, then advanced, scroll down to Manage Attachments, once pressed a pop up window should appear if it doesn't you may have a pop up blocker enabled or it may say something like enable pop ups from the Fiat forum. Once you have the pop up you'll see choose file, pressing this and a window will appear where you have to select where you stores your photos. Once found click on and upload them.
They should then appear on the thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20170618_151928.jpg
    IMG_20170618_151928.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 53
Hi there.
Thank you very much for the assistance.
Ive attached two photos so long. Will be adding more asap.

I wanted the vacuum side of the gauge to do the readings, as i am planning on running a cs12 supercharger in the next few months, hope sooner than later.

Attachments

• IMG-20171108-WA0083.jpg
    IMG-20171108-WA0083.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20171121-WA0078.jpg
    IMG-20171121-WA0078.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 70
Hi.
here are some more photos, hope this helps possibly.:)

Attachments

• IMG_20180213_110047.jpg
    IMG_20180213_110047.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20180320_133531.jpg
    IMG_20180320_133531.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20180320_133540.jpg
    IMG_20180320_133540.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20180320_133552.jpg
    IMG_20180320_133552.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 63
Hi there.
Thank you very much for the assistance.
Ive attached two photos so long. Will be adding more asap.

I wanted the vacuum side of the gauge to do the readings, as i am planning on running a cs12 supercharger in the next few months, hope sooner than later.

I have all the necessary state of the art parts for the Rotrex C15 SC serie. :D
It uses the space occupied by the AC pump, and uses a siamese crank pulley.
The Rotrex C15 series is available in C15-16, C15-20 and C15-60.
@ 10 psi, it would have around 110 hp with the C15-16, and Around 123 hp with the C-15-20.
The C15-60 make only sense with upgraded internals and more then 15 psi.
In that case you running 160+ hp.
But then you also need a upgraded, gearbox, Clutch, and driveshafts.

:eek:Oh great. A hot air intake. That should cost you a few ponies...

gr J
No fan of aftermarket air intake systems.
I had on my past Panda 169 with 1.2ltr 69 hp engine, just a panel filter change and a remap, ending up at real 75 hp and 123 Nm.
Most tuners go for around 80 hp and ± 110 Nm. (i prefer more torque increase then hp's)

What I meant is that you'd want nice cold air with more oxygen to burn. Preferrably from somewhere in front of the radiator.
With this setup the engine will suck in hot air from the exhaustmanifold (mind you there's not even a heatshield) and it'll loose performance.
And If one increases torque it'll automatically increase horsepower at the same rpm.

gr J

Hey.
Yes i agree with you on the hot air side of things. the plan for this weekend is to extend the piping and adding another bend to it to move the filter to the other side of the engine bay, and possibly moving it more downwards to suck in good clean cold air...

Now the question is about the vacuum gauge/ boost gauge installation... lol

Hi.
A vacuum gauge should be tapped in to the inlet manifold side of the throttle butterfly. Probably not the easiest thing to do. There is a thin breather pipe from the air box to a manifold connection but this is to allow the engine to suck in fumes at tick over so should be connected at all times. You could connect the gauge there temporarily for a test. Connecting it to the brake servo pipe with a T piece is not recommended as it won't be accurate due to variations when braking and you are interfering with a safety related item so this could effect insurance and of course braking effect.

Hi. Thank you very much for you valued input. I have gone and found out from somebody locally by me, and he told me it cant be done except tapping into the inlet manifold, as you have said, and the reason for that is because the car has coils and doesnt use vacuum lines, so now i understand.
Thank you very very much. :)

Hi.
I've no idea what is meant by "coils"? I assume he means ignition coils, well virtually every petrol engine since the year dot will have some form of coil to boost the battery voltage to the 30kv+ needed to make a spark for the plugs by induction.
Personally I'd say its quite possible to tap the manifold but I'd not attempt it in situ. Once on the bench I'd properly examine it to see if the material is robust enough and there is likely to be no damage done. In fact why not try to obtain an inlet manifold from a scrapyard and use it for the modifications.

Hi, yes i also presume the same as you.
Ive learnt more about these cars this last few weeks than ever.

Ive decided to go the turbo way instead of the supercharger way, supercharger way is way out of the budget.

Already gotten a turbo as well as the intercooler, now only the exhaust manifold and standalone fuel management system and perhaps the injectors etc...

Wondering if there isnt already an exhaust manifold i can use instead of having one specially made up for this car...

Back