Technical Grande Punto 1.2 2006 intermittently cuts out ?

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto 1.2 2006 intermittently cuts out ?

Delboydaz

I`ve searched the forum and can`t find another fault the same so here goes.

Car drives great but has started to die for no reason. When it dies the engine management light comes on and the the temperature gauge goes to high, the red light comes on and then everything is back to normal. You can then start the car and it`s fine until the next time. Seems to be happen every 20/30 mins.

Had the car about a month and it`s been fine. Just changed the pads and discs today as the others were rotten. Car has been stood about a week.

Anyone help please?

Get the error codes from the ecu... (write them down)
Erase the codes
Wait for it to dye again then read the errors again.
Come back with both error lists.

Thanks for that. It isn`t kicking up any codes on my neighbours scanner

Had the same problem on my fiat idea. Drive along and then quite violently Eml on temperature gauge went to hot.
For me the problem was faulty connection on the battery. I changed the terminals and never had the problem again.
Maybe you want to check yours for any splits in the wires and check earth connections to

Glad you said the battery terminals as my suspicion was with the battery and I`ve one on charge tonight ready to replace the tiniest of car batteries on the Punto tomorrow

So i`ve changed the battery, checked the cables, put a new earth strap to the gearbox and the car died after 10 minutes.

Now, on suspicion of it being a breathing problem, I have removed the air filter box and breather pipes. The car has been running for 30 minutes so fingers crossed it won`t cut out and I`m a little closer to finding the fault

Ok so the car has just run for 1 1/2 hours without cutting out after removing the airbox so where do I go from here?

If there was a split in the breather pipes then surely they would let air in which is similar to removing the airbox but this cures the fault. I`m confused now

Put it back, remove the pipe that comes from the front; if that works it's probably clogged (died bird, animal ?) try also without the filter, might be clogged aswell ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Cheers Bernie

Had a good look this afternoon and the end of the breather from the rocker cover to the airbox had some gunky mayo in it. Cleaned that and it seems to be fine.

Yh common issue on these.

I bought some test tube brushes from Amazon for a couple quid.

Gets right down the breather hose.

I cleaned mine in soapy water.

Need some throttle body cleaner now it's proper gummed.

Back