Technical Wipers issue and disconnected earth

Currently reading:
Technical Wipers issue and disconnected earth

JohnnyMug

Hi
Ever since Ive bought my Grande Punto 2009 1.4 8v (second hand) Ive had an issue with my wipers. They start with ignition the first speed is the same as second speed(no intermittent) and third speed works fine. During a heavy rain when they run constantly they start juddering after 10 min drive and completely stop working 5 minutes later.

They will work again after couple of hours but not as good needed to take them apart and put back together first (seem to be running weaker). Stalk seems ok, taken the motor apart and everything seems in order, Fuse is ok but I havent had any luck finding the relay.

While looking in the engine bay i have found this cable not connected (possibly earth) is it possible it might be causing problems? Should be visible on the attached photo.

Ive read loads of tops on this but nothing seems to solve my problem I havent tried changing the column switch to see if its the stalk but it costs too much money to buy blindly hoping it will fix the problem.

Attachments

• 20180123_145555.jpg
    20180123_145555.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hi Johnny,

seems that you wiper motor is overheating, I'd remove it and check if moving the arms by hand is relatively easy, the bushings where the wiper shaft goes thru might get corroded/seized: clean and lubricate.
Regarding the stalk, it works by combining a set of résistors in different ways that are interpreted by the BCU to drive the wiper motor, there ain't any external relay ... You can still inspect the résistors, one might be short/open.
I attached the drawing, where N015 is the wiper motor and H005 is the stalk.

Regarding the disconnected cable, I would reconnect it, something's obviously missing its grounding ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Attachments

• Wipers wiring.JPG
    Wipers wiring.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Me and my father already taken the motor apart and cleaned/lubricated it but I will try again maybe ill need a new one. What would you recommend for lubrication?

Where should I connect this grounding to? I have never done that haha.

Thank you for your reply. Me and my father already taken the motor apart and cleaned/lubricated it but I will try again maybe ill need a new one. What would you recommend for lubrication?

Where should I connect this grounding to? I have never done that haha.
Any solid part of the body should do a factory mounting is recommended if you can find one usually a stud with a nut
They should be a earth point somewhere around that area for the worse to connect to

You and Dad inspected the motor, but how about the mecanism itself ? Check for corrosion/seizing, clean and lubricate (tri-flow, wd40, withe grease spray ...)

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

We have done all of that everything looked ok but we are taking it apart again today. My dad checked the pins in the connector on all speeds and there was no electricity going through today. Last time we taken the motor out it was going through.

Please be more precise, what did Dad checked ?

What We understand by 'going through' is the result of motor continuity test, if it was about power coming from the body computer / fuse, the correct wording should be 'going out' ...

It's hard enough to (try to) solve issues, don't make them darker !!

BRs, Bernie

Sorry for being so vague thought it would make sense im not too good with this car stuff. There is electricity in the cable which connects to the wiper motor itself my dad made a mistake and gotten wrong reading. We have taken the whole motor apart (the magnetic motor part and the rotating part with two pins ) everything seems ok there but the motor is weak and stops after 10 rotations.

New motor has been ordered and I will update on wether the issue fixed or not.

After installing the new motor the wipers work again but still seem bit jittery after they have run for a while. (i did use spray so they dont run dry) The issue must be somewhere else and its so frustrating.

At an educated guess I'm thinking that the spindles may be at fault here. Have you actually looked at them properly? are they corroded? Just squirting wd40 or the likes is not enough. You have to free them right up & grease them. Again I'm only guessing, they may be worn & need replacing.

You and Dad inspected the motor, but how about the mecanism itself ? Check for corrosion/seizing, clean and lubricate (tri-flow, wd40, withe grease spray ...)

]

Don't like to quote myself, but as Jimboy recommends aswell, has this been done ??

BRs, Bernie

Aye Bernie. Cars of a certain age do need constant looking after. A weak point on my diesel hack was indeed the wiper mechanism, very easy corded due to the constant washer fluid seeping into the spindles. I ended up replacing the spindles along with better rubber ended arms & plastered copper grease under the covers that go over the spindle ends. Actually quite an easy job. Short lived was my joy when I tried the wipers, they went all over the bonnet :eek: It took me the best part of two hours to make them sit right, even then they were still a smidgeon high, still like that now.

Actually no I haven't done the spindles so it will be my next choice but I have purchased another wiper motor with linkage. We have cleaned and lubricated almost all of the motor (except for spindles) linkage, inside of the motor itself, checked for congealed grease in the top part of the motor with metal pins and contact points and cleaned lubricated. Can spindles cause the wiper to go off with ignition thought? Seems more like electrical issue but im only guessing here.

Last edited:
The spindles are actually the weakest links of the chain ! Disassemble , clean and grease is a MUST on old cars (same story for the rear one).
Regarding wiper stoping at ignition (you meant crank don't you ?) it's normal, there is a 'central' relay that switches almost eveything off when chranking the engine in order to save max power for the starter motor .

I like the bonnet wiper design, happened to me once in the past, haha memories ...

BRs, Bernie

Sorry by go off I meant they start working by themselves when I switch the electric on or engine.

Ok so I replaced the column switch uni (both stalks) now my indicators bounce back once again(it was broken before) but wipers still start on ignition and first speed is the same as second one and they don't stop in parking position. Next I will try to replace the cabin fuse box with one from different a car I found and the ignition itself.

Problem still exists learning to live with it but i go through a lot of wiper fluid because I dont want them to run dry. Still haven't tried to play with the ignition but nothing ive tried before worked.

I'd inspect the specific wiper motor grounding point (C010), and while being there? I'd check its power consumption ...

BRs, Bernie

Attachments

• Wiper washer 1.4 8V location.JPG
    Wiper washer 1.4 8V location.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 63
Thank you I shall try this tomorrow any tips on how to get to it or is it pretty straight forward?

Back