General Squealing Brakes

Currently reading:
General Squealing Brakes

Vanjak

66plate 2.3litre 150 Multijet2 Westfalia Columbus 601D camper.
Really squealing brakes 'most' of the time. 10000miles but been doing it from new. Any suggestions, or should I just turn up the music !

I may be wrong but from new, pads are not greased up or have anti squeal paste applied

Also with the salt over winter, if you just leave servicing to main dealers, they do not strip down and clean brakes, the Cali per slider pins seize up very quickly causing a pad to stick on or off disc, this causes unravel wear and squealing

I was charged £178 plus vat !!! At last service for this to be done, but I don’t believe it was, as they still squeal and it’s getting worse,

Mine is in at an independent garage on Thursday for 90k service and brake strip, probably pop new pads in too,

Hi can you see any score marks on discs ?with pads removed give surface a run across sheet of sand paper, then look at pad can you see any small silver metal fragments stuck in pad this causes squealing hardest part is to diagnose which wheel if squeals wheel vehicle creeping forward perfect get a mate to walk with van and tell you which brake other than that remove and check them all

I had the same issue on my 66 plate Motorhome after I came down the long stretch from Gap into Grenoble last summer.. brakes got, shall I say, a bit warm !!.. squealed ever since, but still plenty of stopping power .. but I have now removed pads and scraped dust off and fine-sanded the mating surfaces; cleaned and re-greased the caliper sliders; removed and cleaned all the tin locator clips; wire brushed the caliper brackets and re-assembled putting high temp grease (I used copper-ease) on the mating surfaces and on the rear of the pads.. obviously being careful not to get grease on disks or near friction material... tested and working fine.. no squealing .. at the moment !
Previous comment is correct about no anti squeal grease on pads from new but they do have a rubbery coating that is supposed to do just that.. but when they get too warm, it melts and you have unwanted contact... and then anti-squeal grease needed and will benefit from a good clean-down and re-grease.

Hi
Dropped in on this thread as I collected a 2017 Frankia MH early December. Brakes were fine until about 50 miles into our journey home when they started squealing not only slowing/stopping but also when accelerating away.
My MH has disc brakes all round.
A local MH dealer, also Fiat commercial garage, was authorized by the MH seller to strip down and clean and it was all quiet on the 9 mile drive home afterwards.
I then left the MH left for 2 weeks on the drive with the handbrake off.
Then on our New Year Trip away squealing reappeared after about 6 miles and continued to our campsite.
Re-booked into the local MH dealer this week and took technician out with me. Squealing after about 3 miles from home and good and proper when with the technician. When going downhill squealing continued even when i lifted off the brake pedal.
My suspicion something is sticking but the MH dealer has called today and said there is no obvious fault. The have "completely cleared" both nearside brakes.
I pick up at the weekend and intend to take on a 30 detour home to fully test.
I can live with the squealing as long as it is not also a safety issue eg can the brake disc overheat and cause the tire to blow out.
Any questions i should ask about the work when i collect the MH
Thanks

This is unlikely to be your problem but thought I would mention it.

Our MoHo developed a light squeal/screech all the time while moving and I traced it to the anti rattle clip which was working its way out of the caliper and catching the wheel rim. I have no ide why this was because the clips are a tight fit but pushing it back in cured it.

:cool:

Update: MH collected this morning and taken on a 20 mile drive home. Brakes quiet except when I was stopped at lights, junction etc and then creeped forward - there was the slightest noise when I inched forward. Not sure whether the MH (4.5t) has some kind of brake assist that helps when pulling away. Unfortunately its flat around here and no opportunity to test braking on anything other than a gentle incline.

Update: MH collected this morning and taken on a 20 mile drive home. Brakes quiet except when I was stopped at lights, junction etc and then creeped forward - there was the slightest noise when I inched forward. Not sure whether the MH (4.5t) has some kind of brake assist that helps when pulling away. Unfortunately its flat around here and no opportunity to test braking on anything other than a gentle incline.

Handbrake cables need replacing, I’ll put my 10p bet on those seizing up and dragging

Pretty sure its not the handbrake cable as i never leave it parked up with the handbrake on, although i do use the handbrake when driving and stopped.

66plate 2.3litre 150 Multijet2 Westfalia Columbus 601D camper.
Really squealing brakes 'most' of the time. 10000miles but been doing it from new. Any suggestions, or should I just turn up the music !
I recently overhauled my brake calipers on my 4WD. It is 25 years old.

3 out of 4 calipers had seized slide pins.
One pad had worn out prematurely due to the seized slide pin.
Bare metal and scored disc ...replaced now and new pads and brake grease.
Admittedly, I neglected them for 5 years!!!! My bad! :yuck:

Note.Careful not to get brake grease on the disc or pad.
Do not put grease on braking surfaces of the disc or brake pad.
If accidental, use brake cleaner to remove the grease from the metal surfaces of the disc.

After the ovehaul, One caliper now squeels.

This can be due to a nonlubed metal on metal part on the caliper.
I did not service one caliper as well as the other 3?
I ran out of brake grease.

There are metal to metal touch points on the back of the brake pad.
My brakes also have a brake pad shim...which gets dust and grime buildup on the surface over time.
Slide pins will seize but unaware of them squeeling.

Check your pads for wear. :idea:

Check disc wear is in tolerance.

Then there is the brake pad, material on the disc, material on the brake pad such as rust in the pads.

You may want to bleed the brakes and put new fluid in if you havnt done that in 2 years. Brake fluid is hydroscopic so does need changing.

I used a special brake pad grease which was blue.
Seems to eliminate most squeel. (y)

Squeel is a warning. Might be time to service your brakes and replace your discs. :)

Last edited:
Pretty sure its not the handbrake cable as i never leave it parked up with the handbrake on, although i do use the handbrake when driving and stopped.

Mate I do a pair a year, they’re open to the elements, used or not, they seize up gradually over time, and the shoes drag on the inner disc due to increasing limited movement on the cable

Still sticking my 10p on cables

The only other thing is seized sliders in the callipers but if yours have been done properly then they should be fine,
I tend to replace my sliders at least every other pad change with discs and pack out the sliders and rubber boots with ceratec silicon brake paste, not copper slip

Back