Technical 1.2L : 16v airfilter box on 8v engine?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2L : 16v airfilter box on 8v engine?

KaiserPingo

Project is almost started
I really, really hate that 8v engine airfilter box, and its 1000+ rusty screws.

Liked the airbox on the 16v, so I'm wondering if it fits/easy make to fit on the 8v ?
:confused:

Not an easy direct fit im affraid

The rusty screws aint a problem if regular service occours and replacing them if the heads become mashed

For the sake of like £3 - £5 worth of screws vs trying like hell to make the 16v fit

Bearing in mind the 16v throttle body points the wrong direction
Let alone the mounting points been entierly wrong

K.i.s.s :)

Ziggy

Hi' Ziggy

Yes, you are right.
Just think I'm a bit depressed, going from the quite good 80HP 16v engine to the laggish 60HP 8v...

All my Alfa's have had those rusty ****-screws in the airbox's.
Even the 156's (currently 2.5 v6 - 1998)
The arbox on the 16v is a mutch better design, so I find i strange that FIAT didnt use that for the entire productionline.
Manufactoringcost for the airbox's are very close, and would be saved in less variations in manufactoring...
Well they dont make them anymore, so...

Hi' Ziggy

Yes, you are right.
Just think I'm a bit depressed, going from the quite good 80HP 16v engine to the laggish 60HP 8v...

All my Alfa's have had those rusty ****-screws in the airbox's.
Even the 156's (currently 2.5 v6 - 1998)
The arbox on the 16v is a mutch better design, so I find i strange that FIAT didnt use that for the entire productionline.
Manufactoringcost for the airbox's are very close, and would be saved in less variations in manufactoring...
Well they dont make them anymore, so...
You can get my old airbox.. Drilled the head off one screw, but the others are doing OK. Filter has probably done 10000km at most (since October).
Or you can buy my GSR induction kit, which rids you of the crappy airbox altogether ;)

Thank's Brinker.
But it's not that I need an airbox.
I've got the original and it works fine.

A GSR induction kit on my litle astmatic engine, doesnt really do anything :-D
But thanks anyway :)

Thank's Brinker.
But it's not that I need an airbox.
I've got the original and it works fine.

A GSR induction kit on my litle astmatic engine, doesnt really do anything :-D
But thanks anyway :)
The GSR kit actually does something. Even on the stock engine. I noticed a change in the torque curve on mine. Needless to say, I did a full exhaust upgrade as well, so the combination of those two complimented each other well :)

Inductionkits works if:

The internal restrictions in the airways are less, than on the original.
The new inductionsystem has less/softer curves on the pipes, smooth internal surface, no sudden variations in diameter, and has the correct wavelenght design (giving optimal pressure at the valves (a compromise, no matter what)).

Factory inductions try to get it, but they have to make compromises.
Firstly, cost of manufactoring.
Invironmental demands like noise levels.
From where to get the fresh air (the enginebay is NOT EVER an option)

Placing an airbox on top of an engine is not a good design, but often used = easy and cost effektive = factory earnes more money pr. sold car.
Placing it next to the engine, preferably separated by a little wall, would be much better.
But then access to the filter would be even more restricted than getting to that idiotic oil-filter.
To make things fit in the engine bay, factories change the shaping of the piping from round to flat to square to oval to round and so on.
And they connect it all with different types of flexible rubber elements.

Optimally it would be one precision shaped pipe of equal or slightly groving diameter and with only few and gentle bendings, all the way to the filter.

--
On my V6 (Busso), the airfiltersystem is downright made by idiots.
From a factory standpoint, its not even a good system.
It's complicated, difficult to assemble on the construction-line and difficult to service later for the owner/garage.
(And DONT mention the oilfilter !!!)

--
:rolleyes:;)

The 8v is a city car
The power is in the low down up and go as if ur sprintin between lights and sode streets

Dont get me wrong - there not the fastest car out there

But thd 8v is a solid workhorse engine!
Hell i regulary load my car upto the eye balls (point the suspension bottoms out) and away i go!
Even loaded + towing my caravan + roof box
I had a good run to and fro from isle of wight last year!
Yes hills were very fun.....

A good italian style tune up and these engines do rocket it well

Ziggy

Always surprises me that people knock the 8v as being a lazy engine with no grunt. My lil 8v is bloody nippy round town (and will pull away from a lot of other cars at the lights)....also works fine at a steady 80 on Motorway trips.
Only really suffers from having a top speed of 96 MPH...but then legal limit being 70 that's not really an issue

Back