Technical Braking problem

Currently reading:
Technical Braking problem

Mareadriver

Hello,
I have a strange problem with the braking system of my marea weekend 1.8 16V.
The problem is that the pedal goes a lot deeper than what should be normal before any braking occurs.
I changed the front disks with brake pads, rear brake shoes and new mastercylinder. Bleeded the system, still no improvement. Than got my hands on an 2nd hand ABS unit. Changed this, but still the same problem.

When I push the brakepedal several times, the brakes feel normal and when I push the pedal again, the cars brakes immediately. It stays that way without the engine running. The same happens with the engine running. But when I wait for 5 seconds, the brakepedal goes to the bottom again. With the engine running. Pump the pedal, brakes good. Wait 5 seconds, pedal goes to the bottom.
Could this have anything to with the brake booster?
Vacuum is good. When I losen the hose the engine is running rough.

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like air still in the system. Try a Gunsons pressure bleed kit. These are about £15 and use air pressure from a tyre to push the fluid through the system. As I expect you know. Start at the back as far from the master cylinder as possible. ie opposite corner and work forwards. Also suspect faulty master cylinder new or not. If the brakes are the same with the engine off its less likely to be the servo. I had a similar issue with our Seat and eventually asked a garage to bleed it again as I ran out of patience. There was a load of air still in the system. Good luck

Welcome at FiatForum!!

Still original brake lines?
They should be changed at least every 10 years...
A lot of brake (bleeding) problems on older cars are because of bad brakelines...
www.helperformance.com stainless steel braided Teflon lines, change them once, and forget about them for the rest of the life of your car..

Last edited:
Back