Technical Punto Supersport gearbox issue

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Supersport gearbox issue

So I posted on the Abarth UK forums but since nobody could help, I thought someone here could help.

I bought a 2013 Punto Supersport two months ago. With almost 90k kms on the clock. Since then, the multiair module has been replaced (fortunately the dealership paid for it in full) but I'm having this issue with the gearbox.

So, sometimes, only when upshifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, I hear a loud noise... Somewhat of a loud mechanic clunk not really like it's grinding but it definitely feels off. It's so loud, that it actually resonates if I have my windows open. And no, it's not the exhaust crackling.

This only happens if my hand motion in the selector is fast; if I take my time and put some pressure on the gear knob it actually muffles it a bit.
The gear goes in smoothly regardless if it makes the noise or not.

I've noticed this also only happens at 2k-3k rpm. At higher rpms there's no noise or maybe the engine noise actually muffles it, no idea.

I'm going to change the tranny oil in the next month, since she's due for the 90k maintenance. I'll see if that solves it, but I doubt it.

Some friends told me it could be the engine/trans mounts, but I'm doubtful.

Anyone has an idea of what's happening?

Hi. The gearboxes are not mega-robust

But Ive no direct rxperience

Yeah... After some googling about the M32 box (used on the AGP) I came to that conclusion :p
The one used on the APE/SS is the C635 but can't find much about it :\
I guess it may not be a fault but character, but since the car is somewhat new to me I was wondering about it.

I honestly don't think it's synchros, since it only does it in upshifts, never downshifting.
May be some bushing on the box itself or the mounts? I really have no idea.

I'll just tell my mechanic the next time I visit him, and see what he says.

Anyway, thanks for the input mate ;)

If anyone has any more clues about what's happening, please feel free to share.
In the meantime, I'll see if I can record the sound.

Last edited:
Sorry boys, haven't been around!

Since then, I've changed the tranny oil with some Castrol Syntrans 75w90 and the shifts got way smoother and there's noticeably less clunking when cold.
When the tranny gets hot, the shifts feel even more smoother, so I'd try that.

C635 trannies seem to be a bit on the clunky/loud side, from what I've read on american forums.

Back