Technical Bonnet open warning

Currently reading:
Technical Bonnet open warning

Duza

Hello Guys,

The battery went flat on my Grande Punto 2008,1.4petro Dualogic. I brought another battery to jump start it and it worked but now there is a problem my car is stuck on Neutral and its display the bonnet open warning. I have tried to properly close all doors and the bonnet but the warning wont disappear. What should I do? What causes this warning? I am about 300km from the service center and I cant tow the car that far.

I dont think so because I dont even know where the switch is, would you please guide me where to look so that I check.

I think I misinterpreted the symbol its now saying "gear unavailable check transmission" ... Any ideas on what I should check?

In both modes its not picking up gears either manual or auto it simply says gear unavailable check transmission...

Symptoms sound like gearbox pump not working.
Can you hear it operate?
If not, check the fuse(s) and relay.

I had it checked by the mechanic he found out the selespeed pump had a short, he had to replace brashes and a burnt amature and the pump is priming once I open the door but the selespeed doesnt seem to enter the actuator. When the pump is priming we would see level reducing in the reseviour but then it gets filled back through the same outlet pipe of the reseviour soon after the the pump has stopped and this is happening again and again. When we tested the pump separately it is pumping okay only not sure if the short on the pump has affected the pressure it is required to pump the fluid into the actuator

How does the actuator receive the selespeed? Does it open any valves once the pump starts priming or its the job of the pump to fill the actuator(accumulator).

The pump fills the accumulator, the pressurized hydraulic fluid is then distributed to the robot's actuators by a set of electo-valves upon request of the controler in order to disengage the clutch, select the gear etc.

There should be a one-way valve between the pump and the accumulator, if not at the pump itself it's in the hydraulic block...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

The pump fills the accumulator, the pressurized hydraulic fluid is then distributed to the robot's actuators by a set of electo-valves upon request of the controler in order to disengage the clutch, select the gear etc.

There should be a one-way valve between the pump and the accumulator, if not at the pump itself it's in the hydraulic block...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Thanks Bernie, at least that is giving me some clue I will look for a new selespeed pump as a replacement, but before I do that how do I check if the pump shorting did not affect the actuators or accumulator can we test the unit without a working pump?

Nope you can't, coz the controler will check for oil pressure ok before allowing anything.

As the pump has been diassembled, I suspect the check (one-way) valve having been wrongly installed back / missing / internally leaking / locked open ...

You said the pressure rises (pump stop when ok) and then falls back (refills the reservoir), at what speed ?? As the pressure rises ok, I'd say the pump is ok.

Anybody can tell us where is the non-return valve located ??

BRs, Bernie

Last edited:
Nope you can't, coz the controler will check for oil pressure ok before allowing anything.

As the pump has been diassembled, I suspect the check (one-way) valve having been wrongly installed back / missing / internally leaking / locked open ...

You said the pressure rises (pump stop when ok) and then falls back (refills the reservoir), at what speed ?? As the pressure rises ok, I'd say the pump is ok.

Anybody can tell us where is the non-return valve located ??

BRs, Bernie

Bernie,

The pump tries to suck the fluid but it looks like there is a blockage on the actuator unit side or there is a required amount of pressure the pump needs to exert to open the one way valve? ... As the the fluid seems to flow back into the resevoir... The diag machines is showing pump pressure error... We are able to clear the "Gear unavailable warning check transmission" but the moment we try to engage any gear the warning pops up again on the display.

What I am not sure of is if the whole actuator unit is okay and its just the problem of the selespeed pump pressure or the actuator is faulty and it is not allowing the selespeed fluid in as you mentioned issues of valves, how likely could this be the problem if the gears were running properly in both modes and the problem started with a flat battery?

The egg and chicken dilema ...

One possible scenario:

- pump get shorted (at brushes level ?) -> somehow discharged the battery
- the mechanic repairs it
- but mess Something at re-assembly
- pump works but fluid doen't get to the accumulator

Would have been nice to know FES was saying pressure error; how long does the pump prime, what oil amount is sucked-off and then comes back in the reservoir ?

Pitty that nobody can tell us where this O-W valve is located :-(

BRs, Bernie

This is an excerpt from one of Tonico77's previous post...

Power unit (Pump).
Hydraulic tank: Is their fluid inside? Is it broken or cracked, Are the rubber hoses in good condition no holes cuts.
Electric motor: Does the electric motor run when the door is open, Are there any oil leaks between the motor and pump. (seal condition?)You can also check that the motor runs using diagnostic software,
Accumulator: The only way to check the accumulator is to depressurize the system and remove it, then weight it. It should weight around 600g to 700g more than this and it has a leak inside
One way valve and filter: Only way to check is disassembly the valve and check. Fiat does not sell the valve, You have to buy the whole power unit body.
(one some models the accumulator is located on the solenoid valve unit)

Thanks to Tonico ;-)

The egg and chicken dilema ...

One possible scenario:

- pump get shorted (at brushes level ?) -> somehow discharged the battery
- the mechanic repairs it
- but mess Something at re-assembly
- pump works but fluid doen't get to the accumulator

Would have been nice to know FES was saying pressure error; how long does the pump prime, what oil amount is sucked-off and then comes back in the reservoir ?

Pitty that nobody can tell us where this O-W valve is located :-(

BRs, Bernie

Its really chicken egg scenario, I will proceed with new pump replacement and we will take it up from there.

Now, most of the selespeed pumps I found online are for Alfa Romeo and which are easy to get, even though they look pretty much the same as the GP selespeed pump. do you think the Alfa Romeo pump can work on Grande Punto

Did a bit more search and it seems the check valve is located on the hydraulic block (solenoid valve assy)

Follow the pipe that goes from the pump to where it enters the valve block. The check valve is either located on the pipe itself (in-line type), in the connector fitting (banjo type) or in the block just behind the connector (built-in type) ...

BRs, Bernie

Follow the pipe that goes from the pump to where it enters the valve block. The check valve is either located on the pipe itself (in-line type), in the connector fitting (banjo type) or in the block just behind the connector (built-in type) ...

BRs, Bernie

Bernie,

I will give it a close look.

The FIAT group share the same PowerTrain components and the Dualogic is actually manufactured by Magnetti-Marelli, so Yes, there is great chance that an Alfa or 500 or an Opel/Vauxhal pump would fit a GP ...

But let me insist on that check valve, the symptoms are clearly pointing to it as the culprit !

BRs, Bernie

Back