Technical Thermostat changing advice – 2.8Jtd

Currently reading:
Technical Thermostat changing advice – 2.8Jtd

Dethleffs

I want to change the thermostat on my 2.8Jtd.

Before I go any further with the disassembly I need some advice regarding the best approach to accessing it.

As you’ll see from the photo, the two thermostat bolts are partially obscured by what I believe is the intercooler feed pipe to the turbo charger. Is it possible to change the thermostat without removing this? Having to remove it will I suspect make a simple job much bigger.

Any advice on approach and method is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Depending on the length of the bolts you may struggle.

First one looks accessible with angled ring spanners but top one ik not so sure about.

I would agree with D1985. I've been there on other cars & it's a case of suck it & see. Having decent tools is half the battle. If you think it's going to be a bigger task than thought, give yourself time.

Ok - as you can see from the photo there is sufficient access to bolt two.

My challenge now is to get the housing cover off.

Bolt one has been removed, bolt 2 loosened off. However, as you'll see from the pictures the two mating surfaces have been sealed with a black sealant which is holding them firm despite my best efforts to separate them.

I've tried inserting a blade between the too surfaces but the gap is miniscule.

Any tips on a smart approach??

Hi! Is it necessary to empty coolant system? It's so cold outside and my thermostat is stucked. I dont want to get wet. :)

A lot of it will need to come out although if you want to save some of the coolant you can syphoned the coolant out of the filler tank to reuse it and then open up the thermostat assembly and accept a good quantity of spillage from what’s left in the pipes. My approach was to syphoned the filler tank, then I unscrewed the temperature sender to drain the coolant in a controlled manner to below the level of the thermostat, then I changed the thermostat.

Thank you for info. I think im going to pass this job to local car service. Its not that bad for job but i dont want to mess my yard with cooling liquid too much. Its cold and snowing outside, and i dont have garage where to do this. Also good time to change to new coolant fluids. 2005 was last time its been serviced. :)

I want to change the thermostat on my 2.8Jtd.

Before I go any further with the disassembly I need some advice regarding the best approach to accessing it.

As you’ll see from the photo, the two thermostat bolts are partially obscured by what I believe is the intercooler feed pipe to the turbo charger. Is it possible to change the thermostat without removing this? Having to remove it will I suspect make a simple job much bigger.

Any advice on approach and method is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Did changing it improve the slow warmup time or not?

A little advice for anybody doing this

Don't use a ratchet spanner to remove the rear bolt

Or else you will turn a fairly simple job into something much more troublesome

Don't ask me how I know this ��

Did changing it improve the slow warmup time or not?

Sorry, I’ve only just realised that I’d not responded to this post – better late than never I guess.

The original thermostat was not faulty. On examination the ECU indicated that the van was reaching full operating temperature quickly and correctly.

The issue turned out to be that the temperature display on the dashboard was not correctly displaying the coolant temperature.

The temperature sender was changed but to no avail. If you check the forums you’ll find that this is apparently a common issue with the Ducato. All the usual fixes have been applied such as cleaning electrical contacts, checking for good earthling, removing static etc but the problem persists. The only other possible change would be to replace the dashboard display itself but that cost would be unjustified and besides, it would require resetting of the odometer which is best avoided. Any alternative suggestions gratefully received.

A little advice for anybody doing this

Don't use a ratchet spanner to remove the rear bolt

Or else you will turn a fairly simple job into something much more troublesome

Don't ask me how I know this ��

I’m surprised that you could get a ratchet spanner in there. What was the issue?

I’m surprised that you could get a ratchet spanner in there. What was the issue?

You'll end up with it wedgede between the bolt and the pipe above unable to remove the boltfsr enough to remove the housing but not able to screw it in any further to take the ratchet off eventually managed to screw it in a little way and push the air pipe above up a little bit to be able to free the spanner

Attachments

• 20210302_102012.jpg
    20210302_102012.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 243
Normal ring spanner for the first few turns till it's loosens off then turn with open end until loose enough to turn by hand

So the combination spanner comes into its own.

Many thanks for the info Chris. I will try to not to fall into the trap, should the occasion arise.

The thermostat is not easily accessible.

I think I removed the turbo intake pipe when I changed it.
It may have the factory clip securing it.
I just replaced it with a standard jubilee clip.

Then you have more room to swing a cat!
But, it is possible to do without removing it.
...Horses for courses.....

I did drop the coolant from radiator.

Back