Technical Another wiring enquiry

Currently reading:
Technical Another wiring enquiry

This challenge is probably more difficult than the (now solved) previous one, but I live in hope that it isn't impossible.

I imagine that windscreen wipers of many Fiats from earlier decades work similarly to the Tipo that has a single speed motor with fast, "slow" and 2 intermittent settings.
The "slow" isn't slow, it's fast with a delay.

"2 speed wiper motors must have 3 carbon brushes", early Fiats only had 2.

My aim is to add a 2 speed motor and have the same number of controls, hopefully, using the original stalk switch.

How to wire it in is the problem.
I'm hoping that someone here has actually done it, knows how, someone who has, or someone who can.

TBH I don't see the point in changing it.

I don't know about other Fiats from that era (Croma ?), but I think that the Tipo wipers are one of the clever and interesting features of the car, along with the dashboard and control stalks. You have full control of all wiping scenarios, I think the intermittent is great because it covers pretty much everything you generally need just by rotating the selector, and the fast sweep is was advanced for the time. My Brava is pretty conventional and boring by comparison (in many other ways too).

The only issue the wipers seem to have is a juddery return stroke when the electrical board gets a bit contaminated and needs a clean, mine is starting to do that again.

I'm sure the Tipo wiper controls were ahead of their time, but ............
For me, the point is the ridiculously fast speed of the wipe when set on the non existent slow.
Results is a lack of screen clearing when a slower speed would be perfect.

"Boring" is fine if it does the job.
Haven't had any "juddery return stroke" so far, but in many ways the climate here is more machine friendly than that of the UK.

1990s Fiats include: Cinquecento, Tempra, Panda, Punto, Fiorino, Barchetta, Brava, Bravo, Seicento, Multipla, Ulysse, Coupé, Palio, Marea etc.

Back