Technical Poor Idling but running fine when accelerating

Currently reading:
Technical Poor Idling but running fine when accelerating

Damobrava

Hello All, I am looking for some advice on a problem with my 2000 brava 1.2

When i drive my Brava to work in the morning's it runs fine and idles fine at the end of my journey etc ( except when first started in the morning the engine does idle high then instantly drops )

However when I say drive home then leave the car for a short while and then decide to drive some were I am finding when the car is idling ( ie in traffic ) it coughs a lot and idles poorly until it eventually stalls, but when accelerating the car runs fine.

Your advice would be appreciated

Any idea on where to start sensors etc ?

It could be a temp sensor problem or low coolant, hence the issues around the cold running, It may be worth a careful coolant flush and change anyway.

If your car is the later engine type there will be a combined manifold / cat on the engine with two lambda sensors - pre-cat and post-cat. Pre-cat has the most influence on engine mixture and running, both have a heater circuit that should get them operating correctly with a cold engine. Exhaust leaks / cracks around the lambdas will screw up their readings and confuse the ECU.

In any case get the car ODB diagnosed by a garage or autoelectrician, this should reveal any logged faults. I assume you haven't had a dashboard fault light but there could be intermittent faults. You could also have an emissions check.

But don't forget the obvious classics like plugs and plug leads, it's easy to assume that modern stuff lasts for ages and the problem is somewhere else.

Back