General Michelin cross climate tyres

Currently reading:
General Michelin cross climate tyres

robtt

We had four fitted a while ago and found them very good. Especially in the rain and on the muddy roads round us. Obviously not tried them in ice and snow yet .But they come highly recommended and , as a side benefit, improve the ride somewhat .Never a bad thing on a 500!

Reactions: Jor
The new version is called CrossClimate+. That is with an additional "+" at the end of the name, but I was told that on the tyre the "+" is below the "e". I guess that is French logic.

I was really interested in these tyres, but apparently the CrossClimate+ isn't available in size 195/45R16.

My wife fitted them to her horrible Volvo on my recommendation (funny, because she usually doesn't pay any attention to what I say) and she's been very happy with them so far.

No, I couldn't fit them to my 500 because of the 16" wheels. They seem good on my wife's Suzuki, although it didn't snow here last winter so couldn't really test them in earnest.
Michelin have gradually increased the range of sizes available, so worth keeping an eye on.

Unfortunately tyre companies here in my country offer almost only XL (Extra Load) versions of these tyres, but I prefer the regulars. Just to show you how serious the problem is, below the product range from one of the larger tyre companies over here.

This company sells the following CrossClimate+ versions:
CrossClimatePlus.png

This company sells the following CrossClimate versions:
CrossClimate.png

Why are these XL versions so immensely popular?

Just looking at all my cars and they all have extra load tyres, don't think it means that much to be honest to the way the tyres feel, the key rating is the middle number ie the 86-103 in the examples above indicating how strong reinforcement the tyres have I beleive. Our Ford S Max is really heavy so has to have 95+ tyres not 'extra load'.

Extra load just mean a stiffer side wall, which in most cases means less flex on cornering. Cross tyres are fantastic for wet and muddy country lanes as well as the snowy day's. This car that I valet uses them on my recommendation and the owner love's them.

The only thing is that on really hot day's they're not as hard wearing, so you can feel like it's driving on jelly when they are on the limit.

Attachments

• IMG_20171008_174224.jpg
    IMG_20171008_174224.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20171008_174208.jpg
    IMG_20171008_174208.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 99
Is it that they're only available in extra load?
I just looked at Michelin's website and saw to my surprise that Michelin almost only makes XL versions. :(

Extra load just mean a stiffer side wall, which in most cases means less flex on cornering.
I know, but if the load index is much higher than the car needs, which is the case with most of these XL tyres, then this results in a harsh ride.

The ones on our car are extra load (just looked) and all I can say is the ride is definitively better than the Contis that came off.

I have them fitted to my Scudo Family Mjet 120 (CrossClimate+ 215/60 R16 XL). As to the driveability I find them very stable an comfortable but (on this car) they sound rather noisy...

Last edited:
Back