Technical 1.2 Oil Consumption?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 Oil Consumption?

Our 59 plate had started to make a bit more noise when accelerating so I thought it would be wise to check the oil, down to minimum, so added some more and all good, I added some only a few months ago, how much oil is it normal for the engine to use? ( my Mazda drinks oil but has exceptionally clean emissions, my Honda's never used any oil until 100k+ miles ) half a liter per 2k say.

On another note, screw in rear nearside tyre in Aug, now screw in rear offside !two new tyres and the "old" ones were only 18 months old and quality branded new ones are same spec but budget ones @ £37 fitted.

How many miles has the car got on it and how many miles have you driven in the "past few months"?
Mine doesn't use any from one 6000miles to the next (when I change the oil) but it only has 22000miles on the clock.
Does it drip any oil on the drive? I suppose with no leaks 1/2 litre per 1000miles isn't unreasonable on a higher mileage machine.
I would check the breather pipe isn't blocked or collapsed!

Last edited:
How many miles has the car got on it and how many miles have you driven in the "past few months"?
Mine doesn't use any from one 6000miles to the next (when I change the oil) but it only has 22000miles on the clock.
Does it drip any oil on the drive? I suppose with no leaks 1/2 litre per 1000miles isn't unreasonable on a higher mileage machine.
I would check the breather pipe isn't blocked or collapsed!

Its got almost 80k on the clock, has had a new sump, breather hoses, and is driven all urban cycle 8k a year there does appear a "slight" leak as the new sump pan gets oily but not sufficient to leak or drip on the floor.

Maybe change oil every 4k miles to be safe. My new Panda's handbook has a note unlike previously to check oil every 300 miles. Had several Fiats. Never used a drop but all fairly new.

I just checked over my sister's '59 plate 1.2 with similar mileage... it usually does lots of shortish runaround journeys but lately has done a few long runs down to Cornwall, Durham, Liverpool etc. I was a bit disappointed to see that she'd let the oil get below minimum (tut tut...) and a bit mucky looking, so I gave it a litre of nice Carlube 5W/40 fully synth. The car still runs and feels great despite not being exactly cosseted.

Obviously if you run it with low oil the remaining oil has to work much harder so will deteriorate faster... you're talking about 1.8 litres instead of 2.8 so quite a difference. Older oil will probably evaporate and burn off quicker too.

Absolutely no need to change modern oils in modern engines at 4k miles, 10k should be acceptable for most circumstances except constant short urban journeys. You should look at changing yours completely soon, then you'll know how much you use in normal circumstances.

Absolutely no need to change modern oils in modern engines at 4k miles, 10k should be acceptable for most circumstances

Fiat state 9K mile oil changes on the 1.2 engine and I certainly wouldn't be extending this. I find 6K works for me. With all of the car companies, oil services are a toss up between wear and convenience. My TwinAir states 18K on the same oil, but gets an oil service at 6K also.

My BMW X3 states 18K oil services also (same oil grade as the TwinAir and 1.2) shame about all the turbo failures at 60K and 4 years!

The 1.2 does seem to have a tendency to use oil on some engines. Others use little or none.
When BSM had 500s for a year, many of my colleagues experienced quite high oil consumption, my two used none.
My Panda uses some. Usually needs topping up with half a litre twice between annual changes. (Around 7k/yr)

Please note oil type also has an effect. I used to have Castrol Magnatec 5w40 on in my 1.4 and it would use more oil than the Aral 5W40 I have, both are C3 oils.

I use about 3.5 liters of oil for my oil change and buy around 6 liters overall. So I drive the car until I use all 6 liters and then do an oil change, this is over around 30,000 kms! Car still drives like a dream after 145,000 kms engine wise, I think the most important aspect of maintaining a car is to keep the oil level topped up at all times, this is more important than 'frequent oil changes'!

FYG my car uses about 1 liter of oil every 10,000 kms, so amazing consumption and I drive it quite hard as you really need to rev that 1.4!

Now the gearbox is another matter all together .... = ((

Last edited:
Between services, our former 1.2 POP and 0.9 TA used no oil at all. I guess it could just have been down to the way they were driven. They certainly weren't ragged in any way. The oil was usually swapped out between 6 and 8 thousand miles on both cars and that has carried on with our Hyundai i10 1.2 replacement. I personally wouldn't run any car on oil that is 18 or 20k miles old.

I agree, modern synthetic oils are good, but I doubt they're much kop after 12k miles. As most owners never actually change their own oil because they get someone else to do it, they don't see the state of the oil that gets drained from the sump. They certainly don't get down and dirty and rub it between suitably latexed fingers....they might be surprised if they did!

As for my Saab 1.9 diesel, I change the oil and filter myself on that every 5k miles. I use cheap fully synth 5w30 oil, 20 quid for 5 litres and just a fiver for the filter, hence why I don't mind swapping it out more regular than some might. The old stuff always goes to the Council recycling centre. You can pull the dip stick on that car and you won't see filthy dirty black oil on that at all. It is Dpf fitted and hasn't failed a smoke test yet.

Back