500 whistling roof

Currently reading:
500 whistling roof

Kek59

Hi everyone I hope this can be of some use to someone with roof problems on their 500c.My wife has owned one of these for about 18 months and after a few months the canvas roof began to make a whistling noise,after a period of putting up with this while lubricating and trying to cure it to no avail.Also we noticed that when the roof was retracted it didn't raise when trying to enter the boot space, we sent the car for a service and asked the Garage to have a look at the roof. they told us they put it through their Diagnostic checks and it seemed to be working ok,they couldn't find a problem.My wife picked up the car which after a couple of days their seemed to be more noise than ever.The next day I set about looking at it myself I had an idea of closeing the roof manually with the spanner provided in the boot and tightening the nut found in the roof of the boot space, this to my amazement closed the roof entirely,I left it like this for a few hours before trying it electrically this now works perfectly it even raises when going into the boot.I hope this helps someone.:

Hi everyone I hope this can be of some use to someone with roof problems on their 500c.My wife has owned one of these for about 18 months and after a few months the canvas roof began to make a whistling noise,after a period of putting up with this while lubricating and trying to cure it to no avail.Also we noticed that when the roof was retracted it didn't raise when trying to enter the boot space, we sent the car for a service and asked the Garage to have a look at the roof. they told us they put it through their Diagnostic checks and it seemed to be working ok,they couldn't find a problem.My wife picked up the car which after a couple of days their seemed to be more noise than ever.The next day I set about looking at it myself I had an idea of closeing the roof manually with the spanner provided in the boot and tightening the nut found in the roof of the boot space, this to my amazement closed the roof entirely,I left it like this for a few hours before trying it electrically this now works perfectly it even raises when going into the boot.I hope this helps someone.:

I would suggest you perform a roof initialization as soon as possible. This will cure most roof-related problems on the 500C. Follow the procedure on the attached image.

In normal operation one short press of the 'Open' button should see the roof roll back to the 'spoiler' position above the back window. A second short press should make it fold over the boot. One short press of the 'close' button will raise it to the spoiler position again and a second will move it forward to stop about 250mm short of the front. You need to press, and hold, the close button to close it fully from this point (you should hear it latch). The roof can be stopped in any position by briefly pressing a button while it's moving. It is also possible to open the roof using the keyfob 'Unlock' button, but this needs to be held down during operation. Unfortunately it cannot be closed using the keyfob!

As you say, if the roof is fully open and you want to access the boot, pressing the boot button on the keyfob, or the release button under the handle, will move it up to the spoiler position.

Attachments

• FIAT 500C Softtop Initialisation.jpg
    FIAT 500C Softtop Initialisation.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Jor
Everything seems to be working fine but I will certainly give this a try, thank you for your response.

Back