Technical Punto twinair, pulsating boost pressure, normal??

Currently reading:
Technical Punto twinair, pulsating boost pressure, normal??

Pashers

Hi everyone, new to twinair ownership, and as per the title, on hard acceleration I can hear and feel the boost pressure variating, like it's pulsing in and out, it makes accelerating onto the A11 a bit of an experience, it seems to go just fine, but like I say it's not a smooth boost delivery, is that just a characteristic of the engine, or do I have something wrong. It's a 62 reg with 25k miles. Any help will be greatly received thanks ?? Ash

Hi Charlie, the cars got full service history with the correct selenia k 5/40 oil used, it's absolutely fine when driven normally or cruising on the motorway, but it's on boost I get the pulsating, it's the turbo boosting up then backing off, I suspect the actuator now!
Thanks for the reply
Ash

Hi Charlie, the cars got full service history with the correct selenia k 5/40 oil used, it's absolutely fine when driven normally or cruising on the motorway, but it's on boost I get the pulsating, it's the turbo boosting up then backing off, I suspect the actuator now!
Thanks for the reply
Ash

Check for air leaks. A bit of rag tied to a stick (it flutters in the airflow) is safer than sticking your hand in.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi everyone, the punto goes back to fiat main dealer Monday morning, so we shal see what they find (if anything) cheers everyone ??

So an update, to cut a long story short, fiat agree there is a pulsating sensation but can't diagnose a cause. Actuator, turbo and dump valve all in good condition, no fault codes etc

Same issue on my 500 TA 2010, after several hard accelerations engine starts pulsating between 3000 and 4000 revs. Tryed to change coils, plugs, MAP, oil+filter (Selenia K), also brand new TA module, issue still persists.

Any idea about root cause? Thanks

Last edited:
Mine had the same problem for quite sometime, I put some fuel system cleaner in the tank, drove it really hard and the problem disappeared.

Maybe driving it too hard is nothing to recommend. The fuel thing might be worth a try.

Hi everyone, sorry I always forgot to check the forum. I’ve sold the TA and purchased a grande punto Abarth as we didn’t really get on with the quirks of the TA’s drivability

Try switching fuel people, get some 99 octane from Tesco momentum or shell v power, improved mine greatly, so did lots of hard driving and thrashing about.
Ensure you are all using the correct oil as it’s very important and also that it’s at the correct level.

Other thing to check are your turbo actuators, take off the air cleaner/engine cover and ensure the actuator moves freely and doesn’t get stuck, remove the top arm and give it a twist round it’s full movement, if it notchey or has lots of resistance it will need replacing

Hope this helps

Ash

Back