Technical Headlight switch arm malfunction

Currently reading:
Technical Headlight switch arm malfunction

yellowbrick

Hi all :worship:

(posting this as my first post seem to got lost in the ether :eek:)

My headlight works fine, apart from the high beam does not, ir rather, the switch only works for high beam when it is 2/3rds the way up.

So, I am guessing it is a problem in the switch and I need to remove the steering wheel to take a look behind? This is on a +4 Cinq. Abarth Sporting.

Anyone encountered this problem before? Any tips hints and advice as always, much apprecaited! :worship:

when i got my cinq the switch between hi and low beam was dodgy. it would randomly turn the lights off completely sometimes and i had to wiggle the stalk to get it working again.

i tried WD40 and the like and it only served as a temporary fix at best. i got a replacement second hand unit and its been perfectly fine since. i wouldnt mess about any other way tbh.

it is a steering wheel off job, but its not hard to do.

ok thanks for the tip. I might have to take a trip to the local scrappy yard in that case.

Ive got the steering wheel off at the moment to try have look but seems the wire connections are a bit different than the haynes and some info ive seen on the net and on here, unless im missing something! So if youve some tips on disconnecting the wiring! The connector is well hidden up behind the plastic and hard to reach and ive tried disconnecting by feel but cant fathom it at the moment, its stuck solid., obviously dont want to yank it but not sure if it is some anomaly from a previous fix or what. Any ideas?!

Last edited:
what age is your cinq? there is the old style switches:

s-l225.jpg

or the newer type:

s-l225.jpg

mine was the older type. i have to remove the steering wheel, the plastics around the steering column and then i think there was a couple of screws to allow you to remove it. it was pretty straight forward.

I have a 94 Abarth Sporting.

I got the steering wheel off ok, was just the connectors for the wiring seem well jammed and higher up behind the plastic than Ive seen in other photos, so it is hard to access them and grip them properly to disconnect.

Perhaps its normal but I am having a job disconnecting them, is there some magic knack to it!? :)

I bought a indicators / headight stalk set yesterday for 50 suros (near enough £45) from a good pro scrapyard who have checked out things all work etc

Anyway, here are some photos!

You can see where the connectors are, any tips on disconnecting them most welcome!

Then I can proceed with the refit :)

Attachments

• DSCF9840.JPG
    DSCF9840.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 74
  • DSCF9839.JPG
    DSCF9839.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 57
  • DSCF9838.JPG
    DSCF9838.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
i have small girly hands, so found it quite easy from memory.

you may be better off trying to access the plugs from underneath/behind the dashboard to give you more room.

its just a case of persevering with things like that normally. good luck :)

Thanks, I messed around trying to get them unlocked for ages, in the end, went to garage and they did it and fitted the one new set for me for 10 euros which is a bargain and saved time I dont have though, the full beam headlight still does not work, so it is same as before.

So, all fuses etc are good, so Im stumped on that, so surely it can only be, I was sold a malfunctioning set in the first place from the scrapyard . . .?

It can only be either one of those things surely?

dont tell me its the relay . . .! I bet it is, though I tested all relays with multimeter and all fuses . . . can the relay malfunction even if the meter reading is good!?

no clicking sounds from relay. Yes, "new" one works in same way as old one, except the"new" one holds a bit better so full beam stays on (unless prob i hit a really big pothole) but obviously, this is not the way is meant to work I guess.

At any rate, I am going to the place I got the new set from to get my money back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back