Technical Power Steering Problems (Went to the mechanic)

Currently reading:
Technical Power Steering Problems (Went to the mechanic)

ankushakkumar

Hey guys! New over here so just hope im not posting in the wrong section. I had purchased a second hand Fiat Punto 2002. Everything was going alright and then suddenly yesterday out of no where the red steering light went on. The steering was very stiff and after some research I learned that it might be due to battery problems but my battery is just fine. I went to the mechanic and got the computer testing done. He gave me two print outs which I have no idea what it means, he told me he'd have a deeper look this thursday if I want him to. Now a couple of things, I am very broke. Like more broke than the brokest person you know. I can't afford a new car and also can't afford to get any major expensive repairs. I am attaching the papers below if any of you guys could tell me how much it would cost me that would be fantastic. One more thing I wanted to ask was, would it damage the engine or the car whatsoever if i continued driving for a couple of days? (I am not being dangerous here I learnt to drive on a non power steering manual, and my school is 11 km away.). Thank you for all your comments and please be kind.
Edit: Cant post urls can someone who can help message me so i can message you the image? thanks

Hey guys! New over here so just hope im not posting in the wrong section. I had purchased a second hand Fiat Punto 2002. Everything was going alright and then suddenly yesterday out of no where the red steering light went on. The steering was very stiff and after some research I learned that it might be due to battery problems but my battery is just fine. I went to the mechanic and got the computer testing done. He gave me two print outs which I have no idea what it means, he told me he'd have a deeper look this thursday if I want him to. Now a couple of things, I am very broke. Like more broke than the brokest person you know. I can't afford a new car and also can't afford to get any major expensive repairs. I am attaching the papers below if any of you guys could tell me how much it would cost me that would be fantastic. One more thing I wanted to ask was, would it damage the engine or the car whatsoever if i continued driving for a couple of days? (I am not being dangerous here I learnt to drive on a non power steering manual, and my school is 11 km away.). Thank you for all your comments and please be kind.
Edit: Cant post urls can someone who can help message me so i can message you the image? thanks
Early 2002 were on the relay motor setup which did fail more then the newer relayless setup

Also puntos really must have a spot on battery, a good looking one may sometimes fall short and trip it out

Ziggy

New members can't post links and pictures, its to stop spam. You'll need to make a few more posts before the restriction is lifted.

However this is a common fault on the punto, if you 100% confident in the battery then you'll be looking at a new power steering motor, there are some who say you can swap relays about to fix the issue but it's nothing more than a sticking plaster, that I wouldn't have a lot of faith in.

There was a member on here who's father wrote off his punto when the steering gave out midway round a bend, so it's not something to take lightly.

nothing wrong to drive without pas, just hard to steer

Yes the car can still be driven but the steering will be really heavy. You could try and get another column from a breakers yard or you could get a refub unit from someone like BBA REMAN. They are the company I got mine from a couple of years ago.
They are on EBAY - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Punt...EPAIR-SERVICE-LIFETIME-WARRANTY-/391718692644

A competent mechanic should be able to change the column in 2 hours.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back