'general underbody corrosion'??

Currently reading:
'general underbody corrosion'??

Hi all,
Brother in law has a Multipla, (2008 model '57plate') and just had MOT done.
passed, with a couple of 'advises' one of which is 'general underbody corrosion'
last MOT was clear, (passed, no advises) and this year, same garage, same tester. He is now worried that there is big problems in store..
Anybody got any ideas? seems that since last MOT, problem has reared it's head.
Personally, don't think it can be too serious at this point, as only just appeared as an advise.
I suggested we jack car up on stands and have a good look, might just be surface rust, and a good clean and a coat of something sticky might solve the problem.
Any other multy owners have any ideas??

Regards,

Get it on ramps / stands whatever you prefer , have a look for yourself.
Give it a bit of a clean to see any areas you are concerned about .
Use your favoured sticky stuff to treat it.
Pay particular attention to hand brake lever mounting points and subframes /rear beam.

Cheers Guys, basically my thoughts as well...'general underbody corrosion' sounds to me like there was nothing serious, but more like surface rust appearing, that, if left untreated, could cause more serious problems, rather than specific corrosion of items.
Will try to get underneath and have a butchers...sooner treated, quicker solved!!
Thanks for the welcome by the way. Only helping B-in-law as I like the multi, and thinking of getting one as a 'carry-it-all' for the family, to stop having to keep on converting the Peugeot, continually removing the kids seats every time we need all the seats for adults!!, or dropping the back seats for bikes, etc!! :)

If have a wanting to have a proper day of it then you could get it on to a outside ramp and after jet washing the underneath (an hateful job), followed up by spraying on an recommend underseal. I have seen an MOT tester advise that it was sealed to much......lol

Any advice on this subject has probably been covered by the 4x4 crew a few times before.

Get it spotlessly clean and dry. Paint with a good rust inhibitor and only then some gunk. Look out for the mounting points and brake lines.

Sadly, once the rust begins it's essentially a matter of slowing its development as it will return. Plan for a new car in a few years.

Cheers Guys, basically my thoughts as well...'general underbody corrosion' sounds to me like there was nothing serious, but more like surface rust appearing, that, if left untreated, could cause more serious problems, rather than specific corrosion of items.
Will try to get underneath and have a butchers...sooner treated, quicker solved!!
Thanks for the welcome by the way. Only helping B-in-law as I like the multi, and thinking of getting one as a 'carry-it-all' for the family, to stop having to keep on converting the Peugeot, continually removing the kids seats every time we need all the seats for adults!!, or dropping the back seats for bikes, etc!! :)
Brushing or spraying engine oil on yearly or every two year's works very well, but don't park it anywhere you want to keep oil free for a few days after treatment.
Used engine oil is free but filthy and best kept off your skin.
The cheapest oil you can find probably best for this job.
Don't get oil on brakes , tyres etc
Don't use so much oil it runs off and causes problems for other road users.
Heavy chassis grease is also great because it doesn't set and then allow water beneath.
My experience is not to jet wash because it can force water where it wouldn't normally get to, get trapped and cause worse corrosion from inside out(don't ask me how I know)

Hi all,
thanks for the assorted replies!!
really want to establish just what this 'corrosion' is.
RE; jetwash, have been advised by a few garages that it does more harm than good usually, (as mentioned, high pressure tends to force water into all those places it should not go!!, like drain holes, and small pinholes in any welding. The pressure will force it into sills, rather than normal 'spray' from the road)
Apparently a steam clean not much better, as the steam condenses on the metal, and then gets trapped under any sealant.
If it's only surface corrosion, then easily dealt with by removing and then protecting with a rust preventer, then sealant, (been there, done that more than I care to tell!! Once, we cleaned the whole underside of a fiat 126 Bis, then 'kurusted' and then 2 coats of 'hammerite' sorted it!!) :D
Really hope for B-in-law's sake it is easy to sort though...as want a multi of my own, :)

Hi all,
thanks for the assorted replies!!
really want to establish just what this 'corrosion' is.
RE; jetwash, have been advised by a few garages that it does more harm than good usually, (as mentioned, high pressure tends to force water into all those places it should not go!!, like drain holes, and small pinholes in any welding. The pressure will force it into sills, rather than normal 'spray' from the road)
Apparently a steam clean not much better, as the steam condenses on the metal, and then gets trapped under any sealant.
If it's only surface corrosion, then easily dealt with by removing and then protecting with a rust preventer, then sealant, (been there, done that more than I care to tell!! Once, we cleaned the whole underside of a fiat 126 Bis, then 'kurusted' and then 2 coats of 'hammerite' sorted it!!) :D
Really hope for B-in-law's sake it is easy to sort though...as want a multi of my own, :)
Where in UK are you ?

Back