General Abarth 500c and a cycle rack

Currently reading:
General Abarth 500c and a cycle rack

After many years of driving a Punto HGT and using a Saris Bones 3 cycle rack, I recently bought an Abarth 500c and only afterwards did I consider the cycle rack. Oops. So today I test fitted the rack and thought I'd share the results.

The rack itself does fit [emoji1303]

IMG_2932.JPG

However, when a single bike (The rack can take 3) was loaded the weight pulls on the boot lid and a huge gap appears at the top, not much use if it rains.

IMG_2928.JPG
IMG_2927.JPG

So yes, you can mount a bike rack (Specifically the Saris Bones 3) onto an Abarth 500c. Would you want to though? Probably not, though I can't see any reason why this rack wouldn't work with a "normal" hatchback 500.

Time to find another solution to this problem..

After many years of driving a Punto HGT and using a Saris Bones 3 cycle rack, I recently bought an Abarth 500c and only afterwards did I consider the cycle rack. Oops. So today I test fitted the rack and thought I'd share the results.

The rack itself does fit [emoji1303]

View attachment 183508

However, when a single bike (The rack can take 3) was loaded the weight pulls on the boot lid and a huge gap appears at the top, not much use if it rains.

View attachment 183512
View attachment 183513

So yes, you can mount a bike rack (Specifically the Saris Bones 3) onto an Abarth 500c. Would you want to though? Probably not, though I can't see any reason why this rack wouldn't work with a "normal" hatchback 500.

Time to find another solution to this problem..

Not just water ingress (the boot doesn't seal all that well under ordinary circumstances) but the possibility of damage to the boot lid under constant stress would worry me.

A rack mounted on a pair of roof bars would seem the best option, as long as you don't mind keeping the roof closed.

Can you elaborate please..??

The towbar is the strongest..and of course ..the most expensive..

P.S. Its a cabrio.. buy a bike bag.. and itll ride on the rear seat... :)

A towbar just to carry bikes would undoubtedly be the most expensive option, though probably the best one.

The La Prealpina bespoke roof bars for the 500 will fit perfectly well on the cabrio but the roof cannot be opened while they're on as the brackets intrude into the path of the fabric.

I doubt you'd want to carry more than two bikes as I seem to recall the load limit is about 70kg, bars included.

Wind noise is intrusive too.

Attachments

• _20160814_001703[1].JPG
    _20160814_001703[1].JPG
    224 KB · Views: 86
Back