Technical Early metal MK1 grill fit a a MK2

Currently reading:
Technical Early metal MK1 grill fit a a MK2

Stuartl

Maranellohouse.com
Just an idea, does anyone know or has tried to fit a metal MK1 grill in place of the plastic one on a MK2?

Also wonder if MK1 bumpers will fit on a MK2. Thinking of a swap for the van to make it look older than it is.

Thoughts?

I replaced my grille with the early metal mk1 grille type a while back. After re-doing the grille I set about trying to attach it as the mounting points are not the same. To start with, I just cable tied it in each corner of the grille to the nearest mk2 mounting points.

I came up with a solution quite soon after. My father had found some metal plates that were the perfect size for going from the holes in the mk2 to go and bridge the gap to the mk1 grille mounting points. After modifying the plates slightly and making sure the holes were in the right places, just secure it up!
wr3q0r6.jpg

The center holes are the same for the mk1/mk2 so that's easy enough :p
LDe4UUQ.jpg

The front facing mk2 points are the hardest to fit I found. There is not much room to work with. For this design, we bent some metal to shape, where it screws into the mk2 mounting point and joining to the flat of the bottom of the mk1 grille. Again, drill holes and secure, though securing this one is a bit more fiddly given there is not much space. If you're taking the bumpers off, I imagine you can come up with a good solution for keeping it extra secure on the bottom there!
vNuNAnF.jpg

As you may see in the first picture, the mounts bend down slightly, I believe this is because of the front facing mk2 mounts. The mounts on the car get in the way and almost prop up the mk1 grille because the mk1 grille has extended sides. One solution would be to trim the sides of the grille I'd imagine, which would let you mount it in a position more of your own choosing rather than where it wants to sit. Not saying it doesn't work without modifying the grille though, here is the finished result!
KBEHahz.jpg

I plan on repainting the grille one day so I'll end up making the mounts a bit prettier too, but there's a rough guide to it - hope that helps, but yes, long story short, the mk1 grille can fit if you make the mounts to fit!

I appreciate that you're more than likely doing it properly, but just for anyone else who might read this - all of the above is true, but you can also get away with just using the centre mounts to hold it in place, and putting cable ties through the lower holes and securing them against the existing mounts. It stays in place perfectly well, and lets you try it out for a while if that's your bag.

I appreciate that you're more than likely doing it properly, but just for anyone else who might read this - all of the above is true, but you can also get away with just using the centre mounts to hold it in place, and putting cable ties through the lower holes and securing them against the existing mounts. It stays in place perfectly well, and lets you try it out for a while if that's your bag.
I think the front facing mount on the left hand side (without the vents) is still held on by a cable tie on my car too, I second you saying it stays in place perfectly well! :) It is very fiddly getting that metal mount in there on the front facing mount so think I may opt for ties next time I fit anyway... I did so when I first fit the grille but wanted something that looked a bit more in place. Think I may tie the bottom with red ties and paint the top custom mounts I have red, that should fit in nicely!

Back