General Return of the prodigal owner

Currently reading:
General Return of the prodigal owner

Clayman

Hi
5 years after selling my Seicento I'm back with a 2007 Panda 4x4 1.2 with 49,000 miles and one lady ex-owner. So I read the things to look for and all seems OK. Cambelt changed at 34,000 - seems early but advice welcome. Needs a new gearchange gaiter but they seem about £12 on that auction site. So what should I do to improve it?

Depends on what you want to do with it.

Off road wise, there isn't much you can do with them.
Due to the wheel arches, you can't fit large wheels or tyres to noticeably increase ground clearance.
Best just to fit decent mud/snow tyres, due to it's lack of weight, they work quite well.
The front bumper is quite low too and this reduces the angles you can tackle.

Performance wise, you can't really get much more out of it due to the limitations of the drivetrain.
Gearbox, clutch and propshaft all have to take the strain of all four wheels being driven and can't really handle much more power.
The carrier bearing in the middle of the prop is already a weak point and usually the first thing to cause trouble with the drivetrain.

Perhaps save your money for when things do start showing up, until then keep an eye out for some common Panda gripes like rotting sump pans and other rusty parts bolted to it underneath.

The transmission can handle the torque of the diesel and the drive shaft to back end only takes power when the front wheels are slipping.

It might even be possible to fit a 100HP engine however I have no idea if the gearbox is compatible.

You would probably need an aftermarket ECU and will run into issue with the instruments panel. But it will have been done before.

What do you want to do with the car?
Power tuning will lose low revs torque which not what you want for off-roading. More capacity (as in 1400cc) is likely to be the best option but don't fit power cams.

If you want road performance, then the full 100HP with added goodies and road suspension would do the job.

I'm sure the diesel 4x4 (Cross) used a different coupling for the rear drive.

Petrol models used a basic viscous coupling, the diesel used a electromagnetic coupling (as used on the latest model 4x4's).

I gather they were used to accomodate the different engines power outputs.

I'm sure the diesel 4x4 (Cross) used a different coupling for the rear drive.

Petrol models used a basic viscous coupling, the diesel used a electromagnetic coupling (as used on the latest model 4x4's).

I gather they were used to accomodate the different engines power outputs.

There we go.

Keep it simple (standard more or less) though you could consider a sports exhaust manifold with catalyst under the car. The "manicat" will restrict performance at all revs.

Thanks for those comments. I will leave the engine alone as it has done less that 50,000 miles apart from fitting a K&N filter.
I've got a new gear shift gaiter so have to fit that - using the guide on here!
But the biggest problem appears to be the sump guard which I knew was rusty but is in fact really bad on close examination - crawling under the car in the rain on the dealers forecourt is not really practical. So are there any aftermarket ones or do I need a scrap yard?

You don't "need" a sump guard unless you plan on rocky off-roading - and for that, the OEM guard is unlikely to be up to much.

For real off roading protection you will need something like this and additional plates for the back end and drive shaft. https://www.offroad24.eu/index.php?pli=1032010010&artnr=29-G90001&view=detail

Parts shown are for a Mk 3 Panda but 169 wont be hugely different.

Edit - Here's one for the 169. Aluminium would surely be more suitable but presumably these are the experts.

If you mean the sump pan is leaking, Shop 4 parts sell them.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm off to the supplying garage to see what they can do. BTW there was no link in the last post to the alu one at least I don't think so! I'll let people know but I have struggled to find a sumpguard anywhere!! No it isn't the sump but the protective guard on the car.

Last edited:
I have had 3 141 pandas (2 2Wd and 1 Sisley 4wd). In my experience a nice easy basic way to protect the underside is to spend a couple hours (wear eye protection) wire brushing all the rusty areas, then spray with hammerite paint, then spray with hammerite underseal with waxoyl. The spray can versions of these products are much easier and quicker to apply than brushing and can reach more nooks and crannies. Other products, apparently better like bilt hamber are on the market, but I use what I am comfortable with and know works from experience

Yes I was on about the sump.

If you plan on off-roading the car you will need better underbody protection so get some aftermarket bash plates. Aluminium's generally the best as it's strong and lighter weight than steel.

If you don't plan on off-roading, get the old bash plate welded and tarted up. You might want to consider hot zinc spraying for max protection.

The back axle rusts. Painting it in-situ is ok but you risk eye damage from falling debris. Rust is VERY bad news for eyes. Slathering it with Waxoyl (no paint) gets into the metal pores and does a better protection job though it's not pretty. Painted over rusty scale will eventually fall off leaving no protection at that point. Regular Waxoyl solves that issue.

At the very least disconnect the rear shocks (dampers) and drop the axle down for better access.

Last edited:
Back