EGR Valve code

Currently reading:
EGR Valve code

Hello there
I will start by saying that I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, although I am watching/browsing it for a while now.
I have my Bravo 07 for 6 months now and, even if I bought it from a shady dealer, I love it. Obviously, it has a lot of problems, some minor, some not so much.
For the moment I have a couple of pressing matters, and one of them regards (or not) the EGR Valve.
After about a month of search through internet and this forum, having more and more problems with starting the car, I decided to change the EGR Valve. So I did it my self and, after about 3 hours, I did it.
Next, at first it struggled to start, but then it was ok. I've noticed, after install, the engine light in dashboard with the message like "EGR error" or something like that (I had forgot to connect the wires :p). I've connected the valve, still got the error in dashboard, I've disconnected the negative from battery, put it back after 3-5 minute, error gone now but I don't think it is working (the EGR). After 2 weeks, I still have problems with difficult start (much rarely), still have the load of white smoke when it starts, the exhaust still smells like diesel and it is whiteish...
The question is: is it possible that the ECU doesn't recognise the EGR Valve, even if I don't see the error in dashboard? And so the EGR doesn't work?

Hello there
I will start by saying that I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, although I am watching/browsing it for a while now.
I have my Bravo 07 for 6 months now and, even if I bought it from a shady dealer, I love it. Obviously, it has a lot of problems, some minor, some not so much.
For the moment I have a couple of pressing matters, and one of them regards (or not) the EGR Valve.
After about a month of search through internet and this forum, having more and more problems with starting the car, I decided to change the EGR Valve. So I did it my self and, after about 3 hours, I did it.
Next, at first it struggled to start, but then it was ok. I've noticed, after install, the engine light in dashboard with the message like "EGR error" or something like that (I had forgot to connect the wires :p). I've connected the valve, still got the error in dashboard, I've disconnected the negative from battery, put it back after 3-5 minute, error gone now but I don't think it is working (the EGR). After 2 weeks, I still have problems with difficult start (much rarely), still have the load of white smoke when it starts, the exhaust still smells like diesel and it is whiteish...
The question is: is it possible that the ECU doesn't recognise the EGR Valve, even if I don't see the error in dashboard? And so the EGR doesn't work?

Hi and welcome to Fiat Forum,
Your symptoms sound more like a faulty glow plug than the EGR valve. Check the connections for a start.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi there. I'm more like an amateur mechanic (given that when I worked on cars, occasionally, I had no idea what ECU or other electronic devices on cars were) and I'm not at all up to date with today's engines. Where can I locate the glow plug connections? I want to know as a general idea, because the wiring on my car looks pretty bad made. Thanks!
Update: I have searched the forum and found out where are the glow plugs and the wires connected to them :(. Have to buy a multimeter now to check the connections. Maybe next week, if the weather will allow me, I will check and update the situation.
Thank you Robert G8RPI for the suggestion.

Last edited:
I have taken another look at the engine today.
1. I have checked the connections (visually) to the glow plugs, to the glow plug relay and all seems ok.
2. I have notice some oil mist in 2 places:
Here:

And here, on the air intake pipe:

If the air intake pipe has a hole in it, it may leak air and thus the engine will not know that he receive less air than the Mass Air Flow sensor is giving it, right?
The small pipe, I have no idea what's with it...
Replacing the air intake pipe and changing the tie on the small one may resolve the smoke problem?
Thanks!

Attachments

• InkedDSC_0183_LI.jpg
    InkedDSC_0183_LI.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 102
  • InkedDSC_0186_LI.jpg
    InkedDSC_0186_LI.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 70
  • InkedDSC_0188_LI.jpg
    InkedDSC_0188_LI.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 84
And the glow plugs are impossible to reach without taking down the egr valve and some other parts. I've seen that glow plug no. 4 has blue wire, and that's about it... :-(

Last edited:
And, repeating the question: do I have to reset the EGR valve from the car computer? I am askimg because I have an Engie device (bought when I had the previous car, big mistake) that "reads" the fault codes that I may have (actually it does absolutely nothing more than the dash computer shows you) and, after taking off the negative from the battery and "fixing" my error in the dashboard with the EGR, this Engie device was still reading the fault as it was there. Tried 2 times and the same result (with the usual disconnecting from ODBII, connecting it back every time). Is that device just crappie or is it true?

Last edited:
And, repeating the question: do I have to reset the EGR valve from the car computer? I am askimg because I have an Engie device (bought when I had the previous car, big mistake) that "reads" the fault codes that I may have (actually it does absolutely nothing more than the dash computer shows you) and, after taking off the negative from the battery and "fixing" my error in the dashboard with the EGR, this Engie device was still reading the fault as it was there. Tried 2 times and the same result (with the usual disconnecting from ODBII, connecting it back every time). Is that device just crappie or is it true?

Hi if you are not getting the warning light then the reader is just showing stored or pending codes. these may clear after a few drives. If not you need dedicated software to clear them. I recommend Multiecuscan (MES) www.multiecuscan.net and a usb ELM 327 interface. Tray to get a modified interface like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271275445368
Depending on the exact engine in your Bravo (there are 4 Multijet variants for an 07) you may need a A1 or A3 adaptor to access ABS, power steering etc fully. A adaptor with leads set is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162599102438. If you have the 1.9 you can access the engine ECU with the free version of MES otherwise you need to pay the €50 registration fee, it's well worth it.

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi if you are not getting the warning light then the reader is just showing stored or pending codes. these may clear after a few drives. If not you need dedicated software to clear them. I recommend Multiecuscan (MES) www.multiecuscan.net and a usb ELM 327 interface. Tray to get a modified interface like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271275445368
Depending on the exact engine in your Bravo (there are 4 Multijet variants for an 07) you may need a A1 or A3 adaptor to access ABS, power steering etc fully. A adaptor with leads set is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162599102438. If you have the 1.9 you can access the engine ECU with the free version of MES otherwise you need to pay the €50 registration fee, it's well worth it.

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.
Thank you Robert.
I have no warning light in the dashboard. I have taken in consideration buying a multiecuscan, but for now I'm not to keen to pay for the whole package (product, adaptors, software). I now it's utility, especially for someone who likes to fiddle with his car :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you Robert.
I have no warning light in the dashboard. I have taken in consideration buying a multiecuscan, but for now I'm not to keen to pay for the whole package (product, adaptors, software). I now it's utility, especially for someone who likes to fiddle with his car :)

Exactly which engine (capacity & number of valves) is fitted in your car.

Robert G8RPI.

And now, as there are not enough problems, a colleague of mine, driving behind me on the way to work, told me that I have black smoke coming out of the exhaust when I accelerate or change gears.
It is possible to be something related to turbo, as it kicks in at above 1500 revs and, as I have some hills on my way to work and traffic, many times I must accelerate hard, decelerate while climbing the hill and change in lower gear, which puts the car in high revs for a couple of moments?
Or it may just be the oil/oil filter (noticed the oil is going for black colour, even if I changed it 2000 miles ago - so KwikFit say, but I don't trust them anymore)

I have an 1910 diesel Multijet, 8 valves per cylinder, 88kW power, 5 manual speed, no DPF (according to the handbook).

Hi,
with the 1.9 8V you can get full access to the engine functions from the free version of MES. There is a time limit but you just have to restart it.

Black smoke could be EGR issues.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi,
with the 1.9 8V you can get full access to the engine functions from the free version of MES. There is a time limit but you just have to restart it.
Thanks.

Black smoke could be EGR issues.

As I mentioned in this post, I've just changed the EGR valve. And, unless the ECU doesn't recognise the new EGR valve (thus making it unusable), there should not be any problems with it.

I've given a thought about blocking the EGR, but I'll wait after the MOT, wich is due in a couple of months... Meanwhile, I prepare mentally for many reasons of failing MOT (suspensions, bushes, brakes, exhaust). :|

Back