Technical Dog bine replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Dog bine replacement

Hey guys

Have a GP TJET SPORTING 2009.

Been having a.mare trying to diagnose this front clunking sound, but am determined as I want to be sure I can diagnose properly.

Has anyone heard of your dog bone mount causing clunking and also does anyone have any information / idea on how to change it.

Thanks fiat family

Last edited:
Not sure what a dog bone mount is .. never heard of them.

If you mean the knuckle/cv joint in a driveshaft .. yes.. they can make a clonking noise.

Reach underneath the car and try twisting the driveshaft. Any slight play indicates wear in the knuckle .. the constant velocity joint. You would normally hear the clunk as you drove off/slowed down.

If the clonking is there all the time as you drive that may point to a problem with a broken spring or a worn bush - particularly when you go over a bump

Screenshot_2017-07-24-00-14-39.png

Hey for anyone with same issue. It turned out to be my drop links. But was hard to diagnose as the gaiters weren't damaged and they were sturdy when you tried.moving them by hand. In the end I had to have car on floor and reach behind wheel and have someone push down on bonnet and I felt it had play. Really happy as this has been a problem for some time . Thanks to all who helped

Drop links have to be tested un-stressed, meaning the car sitting on its tyres, otherwise they would support the all suspension/brake/steering stuff and SEEM ok when loocking at play...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

I had a difficult time diagnosing drop links this time as well.
they would not move at all on the ground, on a lift or it any position.... so i was thinking it might be the strut mounts.... when i took the struts out (replaced with Bilstein B6) the droplinks were crap.. they moved so easily, so i replaced those as well.

Suspension is now 100% again.
FIY: the Bilstein B6 shocks are incredible (even with my stock springs) the ride is a lot firmer, and less roll, almost feels like it has a LSD.. no more spinning one of the tires.

I had a difficult time diagnosing drop links this time as well.
they would not move at all on the ground, on a lift or it any position.... so i was thinking it might be the strut mounts.... when i took the struts out (replaced with Bilstein B6) the droplinks were crap.. they moved so easily, so i replaced those as well.

Suspension is now 100% again.
FIY: the Bilstein B6 shocks are incredible (even with my stock springs) the ride is a lot firmer, and less roll, almost feels like it has a LSD.. no more spinning one of the tires.
Good to hear it's not just me lol. So explain again if your droplinks were appearing fine on lift, ground etc. Why did removing the struts show it was them that were the problem.

To remove the struts, the drop links needed to be disconnected... and were immediately evident to be loose.
If you have ever seen new drop links, you will know they can barely be moved by hand, these were loose, easily drooping by gravity alone.

Last edited:
To remove the struts, the drop links needed to be disconnected... and were immediately evident to be loose.
If you have ever seen new drop links, you will know they can barely be moved by hand, these were loose, easily drooping by gravity alone.
O yes I see what you mean. So dud u replace your struts even though they were not needed?

Well.. i knew at lest one was done, i had seen it leaking a last year, and now and then one of the drive wheels would spin/jump while accelerating from a standstill(an obvious sign), along with those the car felt heavier... it would crouch down more when braking, lean more in corners..etc.
Btw the ones I replaced were KYB, on the car for about 50k km, 3.5 years ... didn't last that well i'd say. Time will tel how the Bilsteins will cope.

Well.. i knew at lest one was done, i had seen it leaking a last year, and now and then one of the drive wheels would spin/jump while accelerating from a standstill(an obvious sign), along with those the car felt heavier... it would crouch down more when braking, lean more in corners..etc.
Btw the ones I replaced were KYB, on the car for about 50k km, 3.5 years ... didn't last that well i'd say. Time will tel how the Bilsteins will cope.
Cheers for that Lil tip, neva new spinning wheels was a sign. Well at least it's not a waste seemed like they needed doing sooner rather than later. Yeah I've heard Bilston are a good.make but a pretty penny also lol. How.kuch did they set you back?

They were about 260 euro/front pair.. yah expensive... initially wanted the B4 those would be about 150 euro/front pair

Hey Aurick. Just wondering how your Bilstein are.coping. looking to upgrade soon and needing some advice on.struts

hey,
They are still OK still just as firm.
I can recommend them... but be aware the car feels a bit stiff when they are are really cold.. gets better after a few minutes of driving.

Seems that there has been confusion between shock absorbers (Mc-Pherson leg) and the stabiliser bar link.
A "clonk" would possibly come from a loose link arm, a "loosy" drive won't clonk, but most probably would come from dead absorber(s), which BTW should be shown at MOT ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Back