Technical OBD Diagnostics

Currently reading:
Technical OBD Diagnostics

OBD...
I´m searhing for the best combo of Hardware & Software, for on board diag, on the Punto Evo Abarth -2010. CANtieCAR is a bit expensive, so i have decided to go for the ELM327 with adapter and MES software (MultiEcuScan) instead.

PURPOSE...
My main purpose is to be able to reset / rewrite the service milage, but also to acces all other systems including the CAN. So ELM327 usb + Adapter "A3" (Yellow) + MES should be the most cost efficient setup.

Now to my main enquiry...

I now that there is an ELM327 BT interface aswell, that alows me to use Android with different apps like Torque for example. But what i don´t know is if / how the ELM Bluetooth version works when having to use adapters. As i belive that the extra adapter is a must for my car, when using MES software.

BEST OPTION?
So i guess i might have to go for Another software, that doesn´t require the x-tra adapters. Then i can use both Android + PC with BT!

But is there a software that is cmbatable or better than MES for Fiat / Alfa ??

Thank´s

Last edited:
Short answer, no. MES does it all. Yes it's a pain being tied in with cables but that's the price you pay for a fully functioning OBD software.

Eklipze3k : I was afraid someone would confirm this..
cool.gif

Thank´s

OBD...
I´m searhing for the best combo of Hardware & Software, for on board diag, on the Punto Evo Abarth -2010. CANtieCAR is a bit expensive, so i have decided to go for the ELM327 with adapter and MES software (MultiEcuScan) instead.

PURPOSE...
My main purpose is to be able to reset / rewrite the service milage, but also to acces all other systems including the CAN. So ELM327 usb + Adapter "A3" (Yellow) + MES should be the most cost efficient setup.

Now to my main enquiry...

I now that there is an ELM327 BT interface aswell, that alows me to use Android with different apps like Torque for example. But what i don´t know is if / how the ELM Bluetooth version works when having to use adapters. As i belive that the extra adapter is a must for my car, when using MES software.

BEST OPTION?
So i guess i might have to go for Another software, that doesn´t require the x-tra adapters. Then i can use both Android + PC with BT!

But is there a software that is cmbatable or better than MES for Fiat / Alfa ??

Thank´s

Bluetooth and other wireless interfaces should not be used for critical functions like setting parameters, updating odometers or accessing airbag modules. You don't want a random bit of radio interference corrupting the data on those. Effects could range from excessive mileage indication (you can't turn it back) to an airbag in the face!.
Use the USB ELM and MES. Torque is very generic and gives wrong parameter readings on many Fiat.
Also wireless does not remove the need for adaptors, Only the multiplexed interfaces (like the one with MES Pro) do that.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Bluetooth and other wireless interfaces should not be used for critical functions like setting parameters, updating odometers or accessing airbag modules. You don't want a random bit of radio interference corrupting the data on those. Effects could range from excessive mileage indication (you can't turn it back) to an airbag in the face!.
Use the USB ELM and MES. Torque is very generic and gives wrong parameter readings on many Fiat.
Also wireless does not remove the need for adaptors, Only the multiplexed interfaces (like the one with MES Pro) do that.

Robert G8RPI.

Robert G8RPI: Well i Think that pretty much decides it then! An ELM327 USB with the A3 Yellow adapter + MES with license, it will have to be.
The CANtieCAR is way to expensive, just to get rid of one adapter.
Thank´s #RobertG8RPI & #Eklipze3k for your answers.
thumb.gif

Last edited:
Robert G8RPI: Well i Think that pretty much decides it then! An ELM327 USB with the A3 Yellow adapter + MES with license, it will have to be.
The CANtieCAR is way to expensive, just to get rid of one adapter.
Thank´s #RobertG8RPI & #Eklipze3k for your answers.
thumb.gif

Found a bundle that i think will suit me nicely. https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FESCAN.html

Apperently there is another, more upgraded interface
(The OBD Link SX USB Diagnostic Interface) that works with the ELM protocol, so that will hopefully do...

Si if i don´t find the "original" ELM327 usb and adapter cheaper somewhere, í´ll probably go with this pakage.
thumb.gif

Any comments??

Back