General MOT Time again !

Currently reading:
General MOT Time again !

Mot today(59 plate), passed! Yey, tester asked before he even saw the car "can you open all the doors and boot by their handles?" Do you think he knows something, and yes all handles present and working, advisory minor leak on exhaust, I'll have a look but cannot hear anything.

That's good news John.

It beggars belief though, that some owners would even take their car to an MoT test with a missing door handle. It isn't rocket science....or perhaps it is.

Last year while my Saab was being MoT'd, the tester after he'd finished with my car, politely informed the owner of the next car in that he'd failed the test before he'd even started it. Private plate with mis-spaced numbers/letters. The bloke looked at him in disbelief when the tester told him to go away and put legal plates on the car. :rolleyes:

Last year while my Saab was being MoT'd, the tester after he'd finished with my car, politely informed the owner of the next car in that he'd failed the test before he'd even started it. Private plate with mis-spaced numbers/letters. The bloke looked at him in disbelief when the tester told him to go away and put legal plates on the car. :rolleyes:
Excellent! :)

After leaving the RN, I had a job locally with a car-parts distribution firm. I was a delivery driver, but had other stuff to do as well. One of those, was making up number plates.

We had a policy of ONLY making them as per the standard spacing system. We put the letters on a jig, and the jig system was graduated to place the letters in the correct place. Each letter is the same dimension except the letter I or the number 1. The spaces between each letter/number is defined and MUST be correct.

We have a Yaris Hybrid now, and the number plates aren't quite right. They've been on the car since brand new and it's just passed its first MOT.

The problem is that there's insufficient space above the letters/numbers to the top of the plate. They've put their company name too big at the bottom. There's only a 2mm space at the top of the characters.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

Regards to all,
Mick.

Coincidentally, one of my neighbours, her Father has just had his personal number plate permanently withdrawn from him by the DVLA. Apparently, he had been stopped by the police on 3 occasions in one year for having a deliberatly mis spaced number plate. I have little sympathy lol!

As for the dealership logo being on the plate, I swapped the dealer supplied plates for new ones shortly after purchase. As long as they have the legal postcode from the supplier on them and they meet BS145d, that's all that matters. I have no desire whatsoever to provide free mobile advertising in any form for any dealership, so stickers out of back windows as well.

Coincidentally, one of my neighbours, her Father has just had his personal number plate permanently withdrawn from him by the DVLA. Apparently, he had been stopped by the police on 3 occasions in one year for having a deliberatly mis spaced number plate. I have little sympathy lol!

As for the dealership logo being on the plate, I swapped the dealer supplied plates for new ones shortly after purchase. As long as they have the legal postcode from the supplier on them and they meet BS145d, that's all that matters. I have no desire whatsoever to provide free mobile advertising in any form for any dealership, so stickers out of back windows as well.

The wife's car, the 500, has a private plate, but is correctly spaced with all the legal info, we too are not into advertising re the rear window, other than the Fiat forum decal, of course.

I always take the stickers out. I was thinking of getting my own ones made [emoji51]

I personally just cannot stand anything sticker related, anything at all, dealership stickers, charity stickers etc, clogging up windows, there's just no need for it to be honest. My special pet hate these days, are car owners out there who think its somehow 'clever' keeping an old tax disc in the window that has no relevance or purpose whatsoever these days on any modern car. Classic cars, yes, I get it and they look absolutely part of the car's make up.

Tax disc in my car has long gone, but my other half still has his displayed in his car. He is not trying to be clever- honestly, he just doesn't know its still there! He is a guy who can barely remember that car has four wheels so stickers and discs are not even registering!:eek: ...and of course, the dealership sticker is still there:)

Mind you, his car ever needed one DPF sensor, 5 new tyres and one new battery in 8 years, my pampered cheap Fiats and Renaults needed much, much, much more... So who is better off!

Last edited:
3 of the 5 top reasons for failure are lights/electrical, tyres, and driver visibility. Obviously plenty of idiots not checking these basic things before the test. My 500 went through 3 MoTs without any advisories.
I confess I have 2 stickers on my windscreen. My local council issues a tax disc size sticker to allow you to use their tip, so that lives where the tax disc would, in the bottom corner so it only blocks the view of a bit of the bonnet. My National Trust car park sticker sits behind the rear view mirror and is almost invisible to the driver. You can tell I live life in the fast lane.....

Yup, I agree. I always wonder about the people that cannot even be bothered to check the most basic of things prior to sticking the car in for MoT. It's not rocket science, it doesn't take 5 minutes to check the windscreen washer bottle is topped up, or run one's fingers along the wiper blades to check for perishing, press the horn to make sure it works and walk around the car to make sure all of the lights are working. One of my own family members was moaning like hell last month because it cost him over £500 to get the car through the MoT, new brake discs/pads, exhaust section and a blown headlamp. This is a bloke who cannot be bothered to conduct even basic safety checks. Sympathy? zero. Personal responsibility and commonsense are seemingly in short supply these days. :rolleyes:

I also wonder how many people aren't aware you can have your MoT carried out up to 30 days in advance of the current expiry date. I do this every year just so that if the car does fail, there's no mass panic getting the work done for a retest. Obviously if the car passes the test up to 30 days before it expires, the remaining time is added on to the existing MoT expiry date, so it is perfectly possible to have a MoT that lasts for 13 months. I've been doing this for years.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

There is a grey area in driving a car after an MoT failure. If it was tested before the old certificate expired, it is legal to drive. However, if stopped you could be prosecuted for driving the car with a safety faullt! I don't know if this has ever happened, and in practice anyone with any sense would take a judgement, based on the fault, as to whether to drive it much until it is rectified and the test passed.

Sorry to disagree but..taking it in early is the same as if it were the day the current MOT expired. If it fails , you can only drive it to a place of repair ( home ?) and cannot drive it on a road unless you are going to a booked appointment for a retest. You cannot drive it until the " current " MOT expires.

Ok, not a Fiat (unless you include the engine!), but I put my Saab 9-3 through the MoT test this morning and once again, it passed without any advisories, full 13 months of MoT because I got it done 30 days before the official expiry.

That aside, it also got me thinking about the miles between each MoT. At the end of the test, the MoT tester automatically records the odometer reading and it appears on the DVLA enquiry record, which, as many now probably know, is publicly available for everyone to see. So what? I can hear people mumbling. Well it just occurred to me, and I don't know why I didn't twig earlier, that as the information about the number of miles is there for all to see, even car insurance companies can see the info, so come renewal time, if you lie and tell the insurance company that you only do 6000 miles per year and you are in fact regularly covering 12,000 miles per year, if you have an accident, they could theoretically do a check themselves and use that as some sort of 'get out of a claim' excuse.

As it happens, my own vehicle covers just about exactly the miles I tell the insurance company (whoever it is I renew with each year), so it isn't a problem for me.

Back