Technical Condenser relocation

Currently reading:
Technical Condenser relocation

124spiderman

Hi all.
I'm thinking of relocating the condenser from the distributor to somewhere else closer at the coil and connecting it directly to secondary terminals at the coil (-) where the low tension wire is.
As current follows the path of least resistance I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem and should protect the condenser from the hot engine heat.
Can anyone tell me if they have tried this?

Last edited:
Best money I spent on all my classics is to fit electronic ignition. It can be hidden so as to make it look standard . You then don't have the problem of adjusting the points and worrying about condenser failing and it is a cheap fix. Bryan

The condenser is there to absorb voltage spikes at the contact breaker points, so should be fitted as close as possible to the points. That's why they are fitted in, or on the side of, the distributor.

yeahthat.gif

The contact arc contains high frequency alternating current components so it is the inductance of the lead that matters not the resistance. For a lead over an inch or two long to be effective a common rule of thumb is that it has to be a flat copper strap or braid with a width equal to at least a fifth of it's length. So a 10" lead would have to be 2 inches wide. Easier and more effective to have it close.

Robert G8RPI.

Spiderman, leave the condenser where it is and buy the best replacement (most expensive - you get what you pay for) you can afford, you will find the better items last longer.
Ian.

In support of Ian's (Bleeding Knuckles) comment, if you wish to retain points and condenser, get one of the "Swiftune Competition" condensers (part number SW-IG-CC). They were developed for the classic racing car competitors, where due to the rules, the original ignition system has to be retained--even GT40s have to retain their points ignition. Prior to fitting a 'hall effect' electronic ignition on my (well tuned) 126 engine, I fitted one of these condensers--never had a moment of problem. You fit them in the same position as the original condenser (possibly using a slightly longer bolt) utilising the 'P' clip supplied with the condenser, and put the end of the earth lead between the 2 parts of the 'P' clip. Fit the best, once, and forget!
thumb.gif
smile.gif

Back