Styling Barchetta spoiler for sale

Currently reading:
Styling Barchetta spoiler for sale

Not for me. The B has the neatest, pertest bottom of any car ever built. Why spoil it with a plastic add-on?

(Having said that, if my B was a Mk II with one of those rear brake-light pimples on its bum, I might be tempted by one of these, to hide it, as the spoiler has its own rear light)

Last edited:
On the subject of styling I just wanted to do a quick shout out for Tom Tjaarda, one of the big three Italian car designers (even though he wasn't actually Italian himself) who died recently aged 82. According to the latest edition of Classic Cars magazine, for whom he wrote a monthly column, his last commercial design job was to guide the styling of the Barchetta. As I'm sure most of us know, the B's design was the result of an in-house competition between various stylists and the winning design embodied the 'small boat' ethos like the 50's 166 Ferrari, but it sounds as though TT oversaw the process according to CC. In the editor's tribute to him, he mentions a conversation he had with him in which he mentioned that with cars and boats it's crucial to get the right emphasis on the sides and of course we have the groove along the flanks which reflects where the water line would be (or hopefully a bit below !) like the 166 and 212. Those of us with the Mark I Barchetta also have the front end which deliberately slopes away beneath the bumper to resemble the bow of a boat, and the rear haunches which together with the boot lid could be seen as giving an effect like the rear deck of a boat. Sorry, I know we're all different but I just can't imagine spoilers improving either version of our cars, any more than they would help the look of a Riva Aquarama....

Phew, glad I was preaching to the converted ! And bear in mind this is from someone who fitted extra spoilers (two weren't enough) to his white Renault 5 GT Turbo in the 90's, so I'm not really in a position to be questioning other people's tastes anyway.
yuck.gif

Used to have a Puma myself but never thought of adding spoilers - damn, bit late now. My B is hardtop'd so I suppose I could add something really impressive up there rather than the usual boring nose and tail jobs.

Mine used to have the 3rd brake light
I changed for a boot without and a spoiler
I have the boot with the brake light if anyone is interestedScreenshot_20190706-165628.jpeg

Well there are spoilers and spoilers.

Our 130TC has one and I'm not really sure it does anything in the performance and handling area but does seems to improve rear screen cleanliness compared to my old 75CL Strada.

It is often a chuckle point when we see cars with overgrown "elk horn spoilers", some even bigger any fancier than on proper same model racing/le mans cars. So we assume that these are either for putting drinks on when parked up or to aid in pushing the car :)

Back