Off Topic Still glad I own a Panda

Currently reading:
Off Topic Still glad I own a Panda

I suppose he has a point, especially regarding the 4k gearbox fix, but really all the other issues with the vRS are well documented. Early cars had oil, seal, pump and supercharger issues that were rectified with the newer CTH coded engines.

As far as how it's possible to go through so many wheels, unless they literally keep falling off I have no idea.

And really, you don't go from a plush-suspensioned Octavia to a vRS Fabia because of a slipped disc in your back... that's the exact opposite of what you do.

I would question how he drives the car, give the he number of wheels he's had and having to have the whole engine replaced twice!

Also love the bit about not knowing what the actual cost was but made a random number up and went with it.

Typical Sun story.

The comments under the article suggest that a few people researched the guy on Facebook whose a member of a few car "tuning" <read: destroyers> Clubs. and he's also sold sets of genuine Skoda alloys too leading me to think he's probably milked Skoda of parts for his own gain during his warranty. Probably voided it and went crying to the newspapers.

If he legitimately had such a bad time with warranty then why the hell not trade it in when the finance was over rather than keep it!?

I would question how he drives the car, give the he number of wheels he's had and having to have the whole engine replaced twice!

Also love the bit about not knowing what the actual cost was but made a random number up and went with it.

Typical Sun story.

The 1.4 tsi is known to be a dog. He's not even that rare in having one replaced under warranty. He then teamed a high powered engine with one of the weaker gearboxes fitted to a modern car...and diamond cut wheels which don't tend to last on our roads.

Probably is an exaggeration but checking any Skoda/polo gti forum would reveal that many people have had similar things just not all in the same car!

Just a small sample...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/top...ly-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced/

Not bothered to find threads for all the other VW cars that use the same engine but yeah I believe.

Last edited:
The 1.4 tsi is known to be a dog. He's not even that rare in having one replaced under warranty. He then teamed a high powered engine with one of the weaker gearboxes fitted to a modern car...and diamond cut wheels which don't tend to last on our roads.

Probably is an exaggeration but checking any Skoda/polo gti forum would reveal that many people have had similar things just not all in the same car!

Just a small sample...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/top...ly-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced/

Not bothered to find threads for all the other VW cars that use the same engine but yeah I believe.

You'd wonder how they can claim special German engineering bragging rights with problems on that scale eh [emoji848]

OK its not German, but the Alfa Romeo 156 was noted for bent alloy wheels. They are light and handle well but the first pothole will put a flat on them. Brother hit a scaffold plank on the motorway and had to have all four wheels straightened. No other harm done and he thought he'd got away with it until the car began to vibrate. Who would expect a 9" x 1.5" timber to do that much damage?

I suspect most sports models have the same problem. Manufacturers was to improve handling but wont spend money on light weight suspension parts and hubs. Thin & light wheels are the cheap option.

OK its not German.

It's as much German as it's design is German, only body and interior are farmed out to Skoda, all else is VW. Skoda unfortunately take their orders from VW. Same applies to the emissions scandal, the wrongdoing of VW had embroiled their subsidiaries, Seat, Skoda.
Not everything from Germany is top notch and many are fooled into a false sense of security by their products.

Last edited:
He sounds like he's ragging it to death! What's he doing that he needs all those alloy wheels? Driving at 80mph along cobbles?

Dave's Alfa comment reminded me of running over piece of wood in my Dad's Citroen Picasso. Damage none (at 40mph). Only in it as my Punto at the time had PAS failure. Not sure why wasn't put off Fiat's for life. Yet on my 6th Panda now (y)

Dave's Alfa comment reminded me of running over piece of wood in my Dad's Citroen Picasso. Damage none (at 40mph). Only in it as my Punto at the time had PAS failure. Not sure why wasn't put off Fiat's for life. Yet on my 6th Panda now (y)
Similar thing happened in my old Focus, but it was a piece of kerbstone. No damage to the alloys but killed 2 very new tyres (less than 150 miles at £100+ each) with sidewall damage. At least they didn't deflate instantly, but with only 1 spare it was a recovery job. Grrrrr.

Strangest thing was that the kerbstone didn't belong anywhere near. Must have fallen of a truck.

Back