Technical Rear caliper winding problem?

Currently reading:
Technical Rear caliper winding problem?

MATRE

I tried to change the rear pads, and I had a stubborn caliper on the passenger side (driver side in the UK), but with patience and force and wd40 under the rubber boot I managed to wind it back enough to fit the new pads (I released the cap of the brake fluid reservoir). In the process I twisted the handle of my winding tool, although I'm not sure its quality was any good to begin with.

On the driver's side (passenger side in the UK) I couldn't wind it in whatsoever. I know that you have to wind it in the lefthand/counterclockwise direction, but I couldn't turn it even for a degree. What I found out, instead, is that if I tried to turn the piston in the righthand/clockwise direction, it turned without problems, without moving in or out (I didn't apply pressure).
Could this be consequence of someone before me winding it in the wrong direction?

Is there any other way I could try to ease the piston into turning and retracting or should I be looking for a replacement (the car still brakes decently as it was checked at the annual inspection)?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Well, that's very reassuring.... Having heard that the UK passenger's side calipers cost more because there's more demand since most don't know its thread direction, am I now supposed to try to destroy the threading, for the sake of science? :D

But actually, the piston looked as fairly newish looking, way newer than the UK driver's side I managed to rewind (I had the car only for 2 years, and never changed the pads since 90% of driving is on the motorway), so it could be a replacement with wrong thread?

Last edited:
Anything could be possible. It shouldn't be too hard to source a replacement part though.

I'd be careful with the caliper you have managed to wind back - if it's that tight / seized then chances are it's going to eat your new pads pretty quickly.

I have a spare brand new caliper going for a song if you need one.I bought two of the same side in error

A quick question slightly related to this thread, do I need a special tool to wind the calliper piston in and out, I had the back wheels off today and could not get the passenger side one to budge, is this because I don't have the right tool?

A quick question slightly related to this thread, do I need a special tool to wind the calliper piston in and out, I had the back wheels off today and could not get the passenger side one to budge, is this because I don't have the right tool?
What were you using to try and wind piston?
If using long nose pliers in the cut outs in piston and that didn't work you next step is try a proper tool. If that doesn't work you need new calliper.

long nosed pliers are what i tried and nothing budged, perhaps it means a new caliper then..

long nosed pliers are what i tried and nothing budged, perhaps it means a new caliper then..
It's usually the seal tight on the piston that stops it turning.
You could try lubricating the piston with clean brake fluid .
Try finding a tool with correct lugs to engage in piston cut outs. Tools can be found cheaper than calipers. You may have to experiment with which direction of rotation is in and which out, sometimes there are no rules!

will have a mess about with it and see if i can avoid buying a tool or caliper...cheers for the advice

I will be winding back my rears tomorrow or tuesday.. i did my 1.2 and they both wound clockwise... didn't stick either... however on my 1.9 ill be doing a complete overhaul so will report back to this and my own thread.

i wont be able to get onto mine for a few days at least so would be interested to hear how you get on.
I'm expecting to have to get at least one rear caliper as the discs were right down to the metal and the other side are fine which suggests it has seized

I have rebuild left one and lubed it really well. To wind the piston back I used angle grinder loosing tool. It was also possible to wind it back with hand only.

I did my rears at the weekend...

This time it was different to the 1.2 i had before.

N.s calliper wound back anti clockwise and o.s wound back clockwise :)

I also used an angle grinder locking tool... perfect fit, all i had to do was lube up the rubber boot so it didnt snag on the piston when i was winding it... i also had to put some pressure on the piston to get it to wind in when i was turning it...

Nothing was seized, just took a while as you only get half a turn when using the grinder locking tool
... patience is a virtue...

Back