Technical Damper rubber worn? Pictures*

Currently reading:
Technical Damper rubber worn? Pictures*

SR71BB

I know the punto handles quite badly at speeds above 60mph. It rolls moves a lot on it own and when trucks pass it rolls even more. Cross winds are the worst.

I bought cheap fiat alloys of ebay so I could put a brand new set of 185 wide tyre on it and it handles much better now than on the 165's. But it still have a tendency to roll but not as badly.

When I replaced the wheels I took some pictures of the rear dampers. Do the rubbers look worn to you and if so how bad would you say they are?

They look pretty horrendous to me but I am no expert. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 10.jpeg
    10.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 24
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 11.jpeg
    11.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 12.jpeg
    12.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 25
Yup there worn mate
You cannsee the.metal bushing in middle support by the runner has ripped well and truly

So this will moving and not dampening till rubbers finished moving

It wont hurt to replace the shocks
Just start pretreating the bottom bolt as they do like to seize into place
Lots of spray - easy access via rear axle ends

If the car is handling terribly - look for broken springs
Tyre condition and pressures
And it never hurts to have tracking done if ball joints are in good condition

Puntos can handle some speedy turns - but only if everything is in shape

My arse on mine is sagging and ive got a gap on my shock rubbers too
Ziggy

Thanks.

I've had a look at the springs and they seem to be intact although a bit rusty in parts. The tracking is out slightly as she pulls left but the four new tyres I put on yesterday have alleviated a lot of the pull.

I would like to get the tracking done but my wife was clipped buy a truck on the M1 a few weeks ago which caused her to spin out at 70mph and face the other way into oncoming traffic. Luckily she didn't flip the car.

What damage could a spin like that at that speed have done to the ball joints? Don't want to waste money getting alignment done if they should be replaced first. It always pulled left, even before the accident.

Thanks again for the advice.

What replacement shocks would you recommend?

If I'm replacing them I'd like something stiffer but I've been looking at some Koni dampers and they say they are for cars with lower springs fitted. I'm not interested in lowering it, just getting better handling.

I've decided on putting some cheap sachs in instead. Two for the price of one koni. No point spending a ton of money on his piece of poop. Only need it to last me another year.

New one is on. Old one was in terrible condition. I changed both sides, both were in terrible shape.

Attachments

• DSC_0774.JPG
    DSC_0774.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG-20170403-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20170403-WA0003.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
New one is on. Old one was in terrible condition. I changed both sides, both were in terrible shape.

they never went when they were solid bushes like youve replaced with but fiat fitted open ones in all their cooking cars ,panda 500 punto and they all fail very quickly,i searched everywhere to try and buy the eyelet bushes but failed when there was nothing wrong with the shockers

Turns out the left one had failed. The left side always did feel worse and now I know why. Good thing I decided to replace the shock rather than buying some new stiffer bushes.

Attachments

• IMG-20170403-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20170403-WA0008.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 23
Yep the old ones looked shot in your photo's
You should notice a big difference in the handling with new shocks fitted. I've had 3 Punt's so far (currently on my 3rd one) and not had any issues with handling i find it's a very stable car on the motorway.
In fact i changed rear shocks a couple of months back as what was on there was shot...the bushes on them were fine it was the shocks themselves that were knacked and although they didn't seem to adversely effect the handling the difference when i replaced the shocks (and added new springs) was noticeable.
Someone in a reply to your thread mentioned bust springs, when i changed my shocks i also changed the rear springs, very easy and inexpensive job to do ( i changed them whilst i was replacing the shocks, whole job was about an hour), i actually did have a bust spring, and new ones combined with the new shocks made the car sit better and sharpened the handling noticeably

Last edited:
Yep the old ones looked shot in your photo's
You should notice a big difference in the handling with new shocks fitted. I've had 3 Punt's so far (currently on my 3rd one) and not had any issues with handling i find it's a very stable car on the motorway.
In fact i changed rear shocks a couple of months back as what was on there was shot...the bushes on them were fine it was the shocks themselves that were knacked and although they didn't seem to adversely effect the handling the difference when i replaced the shocks (and added new springs) was noticeable.
Someone in a reply to your thread mentioned bust springs, when i changed my shocks i also changed the rear springs, very easy and inexpensive job to do ( i changed them whilst i was replacing the shocks, whole job was about an hour), i actually did have a bust spring, and new ones combined with the new shocks made the car sit better and sharpened the handling noticeably

Never changed punto rear springs
But now that i tow with my mk2b - i can tell i defo need them
Arse slams to the ground with just 75KG in boot or when hitched
The ability to resist has obviously faded with age

Ziggy

Back