Technical Newbie with a few questions

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie with a few questions

dancrook

I’ve had my fiat 500 (10 plate) about a year now and starting to get problems, I’ve recently changed the rear shocks as they were corroding, new battery, tyres and even a door handle hinge which i managed to snap, Now I’ve a few little problems i could do with some help.
There is a rubbing noise coming from front passenger side I’ve been told it could possibly be a bearing issue,
if there car is driving straight you can hear, turn the wheel right it gets a little noisier, turn it to the left it seems to stop, also if a little pressure is applied to the brake it goes as well.
Any help would be appreciated.
The other job would be the boot release catch from the exterior of the car has stopped working, it has to be unlocked via the key fob. as the car came without a spare key this could be an issue especially if my missis has a dim moment.
as again any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve had my fiat 500 (10 plate) about a year now and starting to get problems, I’ve recently changed the rear shocks as they were corroding, new battery, tyres and even a door handle hinge which i managed to snap, Now I’ve a few little problems i could do with some help.
There is a rubbing noise coming from front passenger side I’ve been told it could possibly be a bearing issue,
if there car is driving straight you can hear, turn the wheel right it gets a little noisier, turn it to the left it seems to stop, also if a little pressure is applied to the brake it goes as well.
Any help would be appreciated.
The other job would be the boot release catch from the exterior of the car has stopped working, it has to be unlocked via the key fob. as the car came without a spare key this could be an issue especially if my missis has a dim moment.
as again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome :wave:.

All common, well-understood 500 issues.

The rubbing noise could be a wheel bearing, but it is more likely to be the brakes. Read this thread to find out more.

If the boot opens with the remote but not the handle switch, the cause is most likely dirty contacts in the switch; spraying it with switch cleaner (NOT WD40) may effect a cure.

If you only have one key, I'd strongly recommend you get another, as you will be seriously and very expensively stuck if you lose the remaining one. There are third party solutions if you can't stomach paying the franchised dealer price (likely £200-£250 for a non-remote, £300-£400 for a remote).

(y)cheers for that really appreciate it, id rather have a go at something first than pay somebody to do it.as for the key i have no choice i need another, but the cheapest option will be what i go for

id rather have a go at something first than pay somebody to do it

If you're DIY inclined, I'd also check the hatch wiring. This post shows you what to do. I don't think it'll fix the boot issue if it still opens with the remote, but your car is the right age for this extremely common issue and it's much easier fixed before it actually breaks.

Check also for corrosion on the rear beam, especially around the spring pans; easy enough to fix if caught early, but you'll need a new (or secondhand) beam if left too long.

The 500 is a reasonably easy car for the DIY inclined, though there are a few jobs which are much harder than they should be (pray regularly that you never have a heater problem). There's a lot of helpful guides and other stuff on this forum, and excellent PC based third party diagnostic software (multiecuscan) at reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Back