Latest 124 Review - Including Negatives

Currently reading:
Latest 124 Review - Including Negatives

To put the cat among the pigeons here, to my mind this ain't really a Fiat is it, but then again that's certainly not a deal breaker. If I was pedantic, I think that the headlights look a bit odd & compared to the Mazda there's more body work going on that hangs over if you know what I mean. Never driven one so I've no idea how it really feels. At the end of the day it's like food, so there will be mixed reactions. No surprises there....:)

I really like the Abarth 124 Spyder. The Mazda has to be as good but I don't like it's smily face. I hate designed ugly but cute car designs are almost as bad.

The main gripe about the Fiat version is it's turbo causing a slight lag and losing the instant punch of Mazda's revvy 2 litre NA engine. I could happily live with without an engine that feels constrained all the time. I had that back in the 1980s with a cart fed Citroen BX. The later injected version was faster and did not have that go go go feel all the time. Believe me, it soon gets tiresome.

Do I want an Abarth Spyder? You bet I do, but it will have to wait until they come onto the used market.

I like the 124 Spyder a lot. I think the lines are better than the Miata, but that is just my personal opinion. In my case the nearest Fiat dealership is an hour's drive from home and the nearest Miata dealership is 30 minutes away. That is not a comforting thought when you get a "Check Engine" light!

I feel that agonizing over a half second difference in zero to 60 times or lap times is really missing the mark. I live in a rural area with beautiful country lanes where you can cruise along, smell the salt air, and enjoy the scents of woods and flowers, so I really don't care about absolute performance. If I get the 124 Spyder, I'll just enjoy the hell out of it!

Back