Technical Heat exchanger in cabin

Currently reading:
Technical Heat exchanger in cabin

sime

On my Stilo 1.9JTD 85KW, whet I open cabin heating I notice some smell for first some minutes. I notice that liquid coolant level a little bitt falls. I can not find where liquid leaks in engine space. Maybe inner radiator leaks, but no fog on glasses, and no liquid in interior. If inner radiator leaks can I change them without remove all cockpit?

If you're sure there's a leak in the cabin, it might be worth removing the lower panels around the transmission tunnel and feeling for any dampness, to make sure. If there's a leak it will be around the tap usually (the seal leaks and coolant drips out... but the tap is fairly easy to change).

If you really can't find anything wet inside the cabin then the leak could be in the heater pipes inside the engine compartment and the antifreeze smell transmitting through the air vents. If there's a leak, the antifreeze will leave blue or pink crystals where it leaked.

The heater matrix under the dashboard is usually impossible to remove with the dashboard in place... but I never did a Stilo. You will have to remove at least the lower part.

If you have no luck finding any leak, you could try some radiator sealant (like RadWeld). It's designed to fix a cracked radiator but it's useful to seal any minor leaks.

Once you have used it and left it to do what it does, replace the antifreeze with fresh stuff so that that coolant doesn't have the radiator repairer stuff in it. Otherwise it can sit around in the water channels and fur them up. It doesn't do any harm.. but once it's sealed any gaps, you don't need it in there.

Ralf S.

Yes it sounds like heat exchanger to me. (Un)fortunately have not yet had the opportunity to change one on Stilo so cannot give you any advice on that. But what Ralf mentioned, you could try using some of the radweld stuff to try and fix the leak, just don`t go crazy with it, if it says full bottle pour only half in, believe me I know why I am saying this this stuff will block even what it`s not meant to block. So just read the instructions on the bottle and if it says `pour full bottle` pour half of it and you should be reducing the leak, it is always easy to add more later if necessary.

I found causer. My water pump leaks. I put new one before 70000kn with new belt. It is Rouville water pump. Before I put original OEM water pump and replace every second belt and never problem. Last time I put Rouvile replacement water pump and after 70000km it start to leak. What is the best replacement water pump?

I know, but OEM is 3X more expensive then replacement. In this old car I do not want invest so much money.

I had the same problem with a cheap water pump in my 145.

I used to change it every second cam-belt but last time out, it only got half way through the second belt cycle before the pump bearings collapsed, which threw the belt off and wrecked the top-end of the engine. That was a lot more expensive than if I'd spent £20 more on a quality pump.

So I don't recommend saving money on water pumps, in the same way that you shouldn't scrimp on cam-belts or engine oil... and there is no need to, with so many good parts around.

Use Behr, Bugatti or Valeo. Also Fahren seems okay.. but I don't know them so well.

I think the OEM is Bugatti. Shop4parts is selling them at £20:

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=670&sku=30915

You can find Valeo water pumps on fleabay for a bit more:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/506590-45...72d7f58&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=252262468205

Ralf S.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back