General Only blowing warm/hot air

Currently reading:
General Only blowing warm/hot air

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has got any ideas what could be the problem.

My 500 has climate control, however when I turn it down to 16 degrees the temperature doesn't change.

I had a new condenser, pressure switch and compressor fitted about 6 months ago and all was great! I can hear the relay click and the what I assume are the flaps inside the dash move when I press the air con button but still blows warm/hot air.

Any guidance is much appreciated, I have searched the forum and googled the problem but it only comes up with cold air problems.

Thank you

By relay click do you mean the "loud" click under the bonnet? If yes that's the compressor coming on-which is good, hold the ac pipes going through the bulkhead or near to check they are cold(or at least one of them)
I would suspect a "flap" actuator under the dash, stuck/broken/out of sync, if you can with a bright torch and a helper, find and watch the various actuators, try from min to max temp and direction control see what happens?

By relay click do you mean the "loud" click under the bonnet? If yes that's the compressor coming on-which is good, hold the ac pipes going through the bulkhead or near to check they are cold(or at least one of them)

I would suspect a "flap" actuator under the dash, stuck/broken/out of sync, if you can with a bright torch and a helper, find and watch the various actuators, try from min to max temp and direction control see what happens?

Hi,

Yes, the loud click is from under the bonnet.

I will try and check the actuator as suggested, but really hope it's not that as I understand it requires the dash to be removed.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi,

I will try and check the actuator as suggested, but really hope it's not that as I understand it requires the dash to be removed.

Thanks for the advice.

You're talking about the blend door pin broken issue, it maybe fine, and its the control of the actuator(electric) that's at fault, which could be a climate control ecu problem, there's all sorts it could be just try to rule the simple thing out first.

You're talking about the blend door pin broken issue, it maybe fine, and its the control of the actuator(electric) that's at fault, which could be a climate control ecu problem, there's all sorts it could be just try to rule the simple thing out first.

Thanks John.

Do think it's worth checking the fuses?

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

A small bet its the blend door. I just did mine. It was a bugger but is can be done. The car was off the road for 3 months, but we only actually did about 16 hours of work on it.

Don't lose heart - I was lucky to have a mechanic prospective son-in-law and his mate, its a daunting task.

Doors off, air con discharge, water drained, steering column undone, steering wheel removed, all the airbags, gearbox linkage undone, all plastic trim forward of the front seats inc entire dash. We also took the front seats out so we had room.

The repair cost nothing in the end. I split the heater open took the broken door out and fixed it with a bolt and some super glue.

Some of the guys on this forum were super helpful with advice. Hope it turn out to be something else - but I suspect not.

A small bet its the blend door. I just did mine. It was a bugger but is can be done. The car was off the road for 3 months, but we only actually did about 16 hours of work on it.

Don't lose heart - I was lucky to have a mechanic prospective son-in-law and his mate, its a daunting task.

Doors off, air con discharge, water drained, steering column undone, steering wheel removed, all the airbags, gearbox linkage undone, all plastic trim forward of the front seats inc entire dash. We also took the front seats out so we had room.

The repair cost nothing in the end. I split the heater open took the broken door out and fixed it with a bolt and some super glue.

Some of the guys on this forum were super helpful with advice. Hope it turn out to be something else - but I suspect not.

I really hope it's not that, if it is it will be bye bye to the car!

I'd have to pay to have it done and it would probably be uneconomic to do it.

I really hope it's not that, if it is it will be bye bye to the car!

I'd have to pay to have it done and it would probably be uneconomic to do it.

don't give up on the little man! It can be done -

Attachments

• fiat.jpg
    fiat.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 2,963
I'll update on this once I've had it looked at, so should know what the exact problem is within the next few weeks. Hopefully it will give a guide to people who have the same problem but are unable to fix it themselves and need the experts to do it.

The only good thing is that it's blowing warm/hot air and not cold!

I'll update on this once I've had it looked at, so should know what the exact problem is within the next few weeks. Hopefully it will give a guide to people who have the same problem but are unable to fix it themselves and need the experts to do it.

The only good thing is that it's blowing warm/hot air and not cold!

any news..??

any news..??

Yes, got it sorted.

Prepared myself for the worse case scenario that it would be the blend door that needed fixing. Was going to get it looked at in July but then I had to get a fuel leak fixed that was in the fuel line. So I put it off.

Luckily burrowsdeano posted a thread that he had a fix for it, would only take at the most 3 hours and as it would be the first car he’d try it on would only charge £150 and no charge if he couldn’t fix it.

Took the car down to him In Southampton a couple of weeks ago, he fixed it but it wasn’t the blend door, but the temperature control flap, so he fitted another one, checked all the other parts and it all works!

I now know that he has tested his fix on a fiat 500 and it has been successful, I would anyone with that problem to pay him a visit.

Happy new year!

Has anything changed with how to deal with this issue? I think it is happening/has happened to my 2012 500. It was stuck on blowing hot air no matter what I did with the controls (AC, or turn to lowest T setting). It just blows hot! I can open windows and roof it if isn't raining, but I need AC sometimes...

dont know how is on fiat 500 but on my ford mondeo mk3 ,was the same problem, wherever i move the buton ,only hot air come.

The problem was on the flaps what change coold and hot air,was a mecanic problem.

Has anything changed with how to deal with this issue?

Yes.

When the issue first surfaced, a franchised dealer would charge you about £1750 to fix it.

Now they'll charge you something nearer to £2000 :rolleyes:.

Seriously, though, some folks have found ways to work round doing a complete strip of the interior. If you're anywhere near Southampton, try dropping a PM to @burrowsdeano.

dont know how is on fiat 500 but on my ford mondeo mk3 ,was the same problem, wherever i move the buton ,only hot air come.

The problem was on the flaps what change coold and hot air,was a mecanic problem.

The cause on the 500 is similar; the difference is that fixing it (according to the workshop manual) requires removing most of the interior in the front passenger compartment, including both doors.

An experienced mechanic who's done it before could just about change one in a full day, but if you're doing it at home for the first time, plan on something more like a week's work.

Last edited:
Yes, got it sorted.

Prepared myself for the worse case scenario that it would be the blend door that needed fixing. Was going to get it looked at in July but then I had to get a fuel leak fixed that was in the fuel line. So I put it off.

Luckily burrowsdeano posted a thread that he had a fix for it, would only take at the most 3 hours and as it would be the first car he’d try it on would only charge £150 and no charge if he couldn’t fix it.

Took the car down to him In Southampton a couple of weeks ago, he fixed it but it wasn’t the blend door, but the temperature control flap, so he fitted another one, checked all the other parts and it all works!

I now know that he has tested his fix on a fiat 500 and it has been successful, I would anyone with that problem to pay him a visit.

Happy new year!
Still about? Mines only blowing hot air after I took heater controls off to change the bulb.😢

I have taken it off again and pushed sprocket in again and brought it back out. Any see/get to what it is connected to

Back