Technical throttle body 2006 grande punto 16v sporting petrol

Currently reading:
Technical throttle body 2006 grande punto 16v sporting petrol

haydenm97GP

been having some problem recently with the throttle body, as i put my clutch in the car dies. took it to the garage and they said that the idle control valve would need changing so got the part and apparently the actual throttle body is one piece so it cant removed. anybody else had the same problem? thanks in advance!

with car at idle, car in neutral, gently pressing the accelerator does the engine rev smoothly?

The idle controls in the same thing that actually accelerates the engine.
The best way is to get somebody with MES to take a graph of the motorized throttle with engine off gently pressing on the accelerator.

yes i can rev in neutral but when the car is ticking over revs do seem to go up and down slightly, was thinking of getting a new throttle body off another car because we cant find where the idle control valve goes and we think it may be inside the throttle body but it cant be taken apart
thanks for your reply!
hayden

There is no idle control valve to speak off. The whole throttle valve is controlled by a small electric motor. So that can and does control the idle as well.
The throttle body also has an built-in position sensor (a potentiometer) so it can feedback to the ECU the position of the throttle plate.

Usually it's the position sensor that goes so the ECU moves the valve.. but does not see the valve moving.. so it continues to move it... then the sensor goes to e part where it's still working, so the ecu sees it moved the valve to much.. so it moves it back closed... the same thing happens.. the ecu does not see movement.. and the valve closes to much...and it goes in this continuous cycle.
Take a look at this image for a better understanding:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/tps_waveform.gif

The thing is that you symptoms can come from numerous other problems. Could be something as simple as a vacuum leak... don't know who diagnosed your problem and have no idea how they did it. BUT if they did not use the correct hardware/software combination and enough know-how to graph it out it's likely they did not do a good job. I say this because the term "idle control valve" does not apply to your car... and is a generic term used by bad mechanics to "diagnose" when they have no idea what is actually wrong.

Last edited:
+1 to vacuum leak.

The engine is the 95hp starjet right?

Check the small rubber hose from the PVC valve to intake. It's a classic fail on starjet engines.

attachment.php

Attachments

• pcv fail.JPG
    pcv fail.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 861
Il have to have a look tomorrow but thinking of just getting a while new throttle body off another car and see if that helps
Thanks for your help!

Il have to have a look tomorrow but thinking of just getting a while new throttle body off another car and see if that helps
Thanks for your help!

Go ahead, just have in mind that the path of simply replacing parts is usually an expensive one; and one times than not you get other faults that have nothing to do with the original problem...making it even harder to correctly diagnose a problem.

Hi Cmos, what U mean by PVC ?

sorry for my ignorance with some acronyms out there ;-)

Regards, Bernie

Thanks for that clear explanation Aurick, not always evident to translate acronyms, even harder when they are mixed-up Cmos ! ;-D

Multsumes, regards, Bernie

Thanks cmos checked it thus morning and could see it so took off air box to get to it and it was split! Thanks for your help as its only my first car.

Mine had split 3 times in a year, has anyone found a long term fix maybe a stronger pipe maybe even a braided pipe.

Any unwanted motion between the two parts that the rubby(sh) thingy connects together ?
That might explain why it splits off 3 time in a year !!

Regards, Bernie

cars not stalled on me once since, fixed with duck tape at the moment but works a treat aha and yeah was thinking is there any stronger material products out there for a good replacement!

Been having a look but cant seem to find any can anybody point me in the right direction :D
Cheers, hayden

Well, if this was me, I'd obviously measure..length & diameter, then go on line & look for said measurements/ reinforced silicon hose, (the wire inside)....:) You can bend this to suit all angles. I'd go for new clips as well just for good measure.......:)

I was thinking cutting down some stainless tubing replace area that cracks then jubilee clip them

Back