General Sticking rear brakes after rain

Currently reading:
General Sticking rear brakes after rain

124spiderman

Hello.
My Punto has this annoying thing with the rear handbrake. It won't let go after driving in rain and parking overnight or several hours. When releasing the handbrake the rear wheels won't let go. Need to really put the power on to shift the car. Once it sat for 2 days after a wash and car was really stuck. Anyone experienced anything similar?
I have removed the drums and sanded the glaze of the drums and blown out the dust. Bit better but linings still stick to the drums.

Last edited:
Rusty / seized cables ? How is you hand brake lever when the brakes are "sticky" ?
If feeling no resistance from released position when pulling : cables
If firm as usual : no clue :-(

Regards, Bernie

Rusty / seized cables ? How is you hand brake lever when the brakes are "sticky" ?
If feeling no resistance from released position when pulling : cables
If firm as usual : no clue :-(

Regards, Bernie

Easiest way to tell if it's the cable at fault, is to leave it parked in gear (on a level surface of course) with the handbrake off. If the vehicle moves away easily, the cable or the actuator on the rear brakes are at fault.

I had this on my Punto Evo and ended up getting new drums and shoes under warranty. Apparently it was down to the material they were made of and it was a known issue with an associated tech bulliten.

Assuming this is an older Grande then I would just replace the drums and shoes. If it is a new model then take it up with your dealer.

Yeah I figure its a material issue. Probably too much metal in the shoes and they rust themselves to the drum. There is a similar thread I saw after I posted mine.
Thanks.

I had this on my Punto Evo and ended up getting new drums and shoes under warranty. Apparently it was down to the material they were made of and it was a known issue with an associated tech bulliten.

Assuming this is an older Grande then I would just replace the drums and shoes. If it is a new model then take it up with your dealer.

My 2012 has done it from new.. still is..but only on damp/ cold mornings..

I.e. alternate days in the UK...

Re-lined brake shoes with different material (as per used in Japanese vehicles). Machined rear drums. All fixed.

Back