General Blower / heater fuse location

Currently reading:
General Blower / heater fuse location

sweenstar

Good Afternoon everyone,
The blower/fan in my Fiat punto Dualogic stopped working a couple of days ago and I have been trying to locate the fuse for it ever since, the trouble is I do not have the handbook for my car so I have no fuse diagram,the user manuals I have downloaded from Fiat and sourced on the web do not refer to the fuse box in my car (please see attached picture of my fuse box in the engine bay). I was wondering if any clever individual has come across this issue and can tell me which fuse it is. I would be most grateful for any help..

[/ATTACH]

attachment.php

40amp fuse

Attachments

• grande punto heater fuse.PNG
    grande punto heater fuse.PNG
    53.1 KB · Views: 35,098
I guess Flisko refers to the fuse panel located under the dashboard, not the one in the engine bay... Remove the cuby thing located at you knee (right for UK) and you willl find the other fuse panel.
BTW, there is a third one at the back hidden behind some piece of carpet...

Regards, Bernie

Good Morning, Many thanks for this advice, the Engine bay fuse box diagram does not look like the picture I have posted, I will however look for the fuse (F2) and report my findings when I get home later,

There is no fuse box near my right knee as this is a fiat punto Grande dualogic 08, there is one on the passengers side but you have to take the glove box out and remove the usb connection/bracket which I done yesterday, checked all the fuses and non of them looked to have blown,

so I was thinking it was in the engine bay,

Many thanks for the responses ...

Thanks for the reply Andy monty,

So the fuse location is still an issue, I removed fuse F2 (50 amp) but that one looks ok but as mentioned before the fuse box diagram I originally posted looks nothing like the diagram Flisko posted so I dont believe that is the one :bang: (please see attached images of fuse box cover)
Anyway inspired by Andy Monty's re-post I started to strip down :-

IMG_8819.JPG

IMG_8823.JPG

IMG_8828.JPG

IMG_8830.JPG

IMG_8822.JPG

As you can see from the photos I don't really know what I am doing, I dont even know if the thing I removed was the fan ? but it looked like a sealed unit, the other thing that people says overheats is know where to be seen, Can someone please point me at the thingy bobby I need to be looking at ? The wife had to catch the peasant wagon this morning due to the car not being able to de mist - think a divorce may be on the cards unless I get this sorted .......

# Sorry, fuse box cover

I also had 2 screws left over when I put the thing back together :eek:

IMG_8854.JPG

IMG_8850.JPG

The item I was referring to in my earlier post was the resister, it is no where to be seen :cry:

So in summary I cant find the appropriate fuse or the resister :cry:

On the picture from my user's manual, the "groupe réchauffeur interne" @ bottom of the page is the only thing related to something heating; but the fuse rating (5Amps) would only allow 60 watts going thru before blowing which is far from enough to be efficient heater. As this should be high powered, I guess its feeding goes thru a relay, maybe another direction for your investigations (if you want to avoid divorcing ;-)

Cheers, Bernie

Attachments

• IMG_2416_Ink_LI.jpg
    IMG_2416_Ink_LI.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,118
Thanks for the reply Bernievarian, She could not drive the car this morning due to frosty windscreen, she has downloaded the uber app and told me she will be ordering a taxi everywhere she goes till it is sorted :( still no joy locating the resister :bang:

To the best of my knowledge, over it's lifetime the Grande Punto was fitted with two different fuse box layouts under the bonnet. The first models have two boxes - a large rectangular one and a second, smaller one on the battery positive pole. By around 2007 this had changed to a single square box. The earlier rectangular box looks like this - it's the one in @flisko's post above. You have the other one, the later square one. The numbering and position of fuses is different between the two. Yours is described in the "Grande Punto Handbook 07-10" in the Forum's Grande Punto download section, pages 157-162. @Bernievarian's image corresponds to pages 158-9 (there are some slight differences). Fuse 10, amongst other things, is for the "interior heating unit". It's in the Dashboard fuse box (behind the glovebox on right-hand drive models I think). Rating seems too low to be in the direct circuit. Also, as it controls a lot of other things I think you would have noticed them not working either. Personally I wonder if there is another undocumented fuse somewhere.

For the location of the Heater Resistor, have a look at these YouTube videos:

Both these are models without air con or climate control. Not sure if models with these are different - which do you have?

Fuses related to the heater/blower: F18, F24 & F38, all in the engine bay box near the battery. Relay T5 and T6 are also involved with the commands.

This was found in the eLearn CD, many thanks to Mishu for uploading it !!

Regards, Bernie

Many thanks,

For the responses I will try the suggested fuses and report my findings, I still can't find the resister in my model, It is not where suggested on the you tube videos so I have had to call in reinforcements (my pal) who has ordered the resister - hope he can find it (hope its that) - I have had the blower out once so if it is that I can replace that myself but hopefully it will all be sorted the weekend.

If not I may be looking for a new wife :bang:

If anyone knows where the resister is then please shout ......

I still can't find the resister in my model, It is not where suggested on the you tube videos

Which model do you have?

Do you have a single 4 speed fan control or the dual zone climate control?

Have you tried tracing the wires from the fan - one of them should go to the resistor. There is a wiring diagram here (for non climate control models).

When you stripped down the fan did you test it by connecting it direct to a 12v supply to eliminate that as the problem?

The blower motor is fed thru relay T5 from battery positive, and the returns to ground (earth/chassis) thru the speed selection rotary knob and a set of resistors allowing different blower speeds. This pack used to be filament resistors but seems to have been replaced by kinda solid-state block, supposedly more resistant to vibrations...

Regards, Bernie

Good Morning,

Yes it is the dual climate control system, I did try and trace the wires that go to the fan but they disappear up behind the dash and the other one that is connected to it is a large harness type that goes back behind the the centre console, I am planning to strip it down again and test the fan itself to see if there is life there, I will let you know thanks

Hi, Same issue with my daughters yesterday and it was the connector that goes into the resistor that was at fault. We think her brother had caught it with his massive feet..! I wiggled it and all is good again.

Yes it is the dual climate control system, I did try and trace the wires that go to the fan but they disappear up behind the dash and the other one that is connected to it is a large harness type that goes back behind the the centre console, I am planning to strip it down again and test the fan itself to see if there is life there, I will let you know thanks

It will be interesting to know what differences you find between your dual zone heater and the videos/wiring for the basic 4 speed model. Keep your camera handy and good luck!

Good Morning,

Hey guys having a huge problem with my fiat, it only heats up when the engine is running but the car is stopped. When I drive around it doesn’t heat up. The radiator fan is not working and I don’t know where the fuse is. Any suggestion guys??

Good Afternoon everyone,
The blower/fan in my Fiat punto Dualogic stopped working a couple of days ago and I have been trying to locate the fuse for it ever since, the trouble is I do not have the handbook for my car so I have no fuse diagram,the user manuals I have downloaded from Fiat and sourced on the web do not refer to the fuse box in my car (please see attached picture of my fuse box in the engine bay). I was wondering if any clever individual has come across this issue and can tell me which fuse it is. I would be most grateful for any help..

[/ATTACH]

My radiator fan is not working and my car heats up. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?? can’t locate the fuse for it :-(. And the car only heats if it’s stationary, if I’m driving around it doesn’t heat up

Back