Technical Electrickery

Currently reading:
Technical Electrickery

pkam

Today, battery warning indicator came on, power steering stopped working. Battery voltage 12.94v nothing on,charged battery for 2 1/2 hours still 12.94v. On starting dropped to 11.4v, holding revs to 3000 dropped to 11.2v. Is this a battery problem or a charging problem.
Any sugestions out there please before the dealer gets their hands on the motor {again}.
Thanks, Pete

Hi,
Hard to tell from the information provided, but it looks like an alternator failure. Probably a shorted rectifier. How did you charge the battery? I'd have expected it to be nearer 13.5V just off charge, but if it was a small charger it won't have fully charged it in 21/2 hours (a 5A charger requires about 10 to charge a small battery).

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Today, battery warning indicator came on, power steering stopped working. Battery voltage 12.94v nothing on,charged battery for 2 1/2 hours still 12.94v. On starting dropped to 11.4v, holding revs to 3000 dropped to 11.2v. Is this a battery problem or a charging problem.
Any sugestions out there please before the dealer gets their hands on the motor {again}.
Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete,
with the alternator spinning.. I'd expect 2 volts MORE,

your minor "loss" seems to point to ZERO input from alternator,
( the loss being down to powering the engines sensors..)

I'm sure access will be restricted..,
so I would;
1, check all wiring - the lightweight wire is crucial..)

2, see if you can access the "brush-pack" , as that's the charging control side.., and relatively small and light

3, look at removing the alternator itself,
often bigger than the available opening.., so removal often needs to be "inventive".. - big job best avoided,

how many miles on the vehicle..,??

Charlie - Oxford

Last edited:
Sorted, Long delay in posting, sorry! Thanks for suggestions , passed the car to a local freelance mech, he said belt still on, must be alternator. When he looked underneath he found that the belt had snapped but had stayed in place on the pulleys even when the engine was running. A cheap and quick fix, well pleased especially as he could have said new alt fitted give me lots of money. An honest guy.

Back