Punto (Mk2/2b) power steering motor

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) power steering motor

gmoore1960

Hi All
Im a newbie here just got a punto having problems with power steering motor hope you can help:)
I have taken the power steering motor of the steering column leaving it plugged into electrics,when i start the car and turn the wheel it spins for about 2mins then stops (This is not right surely)shouldn't it keep spinning everytime you turn the wheel

Hi gmoore and welcome to Fiatlan:wave:
Mine does the same although I didn't wait two minutes. Just put it back and the steering worked again for a few months. Eventually I had to replace the relays in the motor.
What symptoms have you got ?

Hi gmoore and welcome to Fiatlan:wave:
Mine does the same although I didn't wait two minutes. Just put it back and the steering worked again for a few months. Eventually I had to replace the relays in the motor.
What symptoms have you got ?
Hi and thanks Brendan
When I start the car the steering is fine for amoment then goes stiff as I said I have taken the motor off and left it plugged in you can see the spline spin when you turn the wheel but then stops and will not go until you restart the car

Simples first. Get the battery and charging checked out. The steering draws a lot of current and if the battery is weak, cold, with lots of other demands like lights especially after starting, the steering will trip out on low voltage.

In my case the problem seem to be related to the motor wiring harness connectors. As the motor draws quite a bit of current especially in city mode the connectors with age weaken and start failing causing voltage fluctuation which the power steering ECU detects and then powersteering is disabled with warning light indicating. After applying some contact cleaner to the contacts the power steering started to work reliable.

I am interrested to know if the steering is lighter when the power steering motor is removed from the column.

I drove the car with non working power steering and the steering is very heavy not usable, at least twice as heavy as my non power steering Mk1 Punto.

The problem with the powersteering on the Mk2 is that it can fail while on a move and if it happens while cornerring I hate to imagine how to negatiate the situation.

In my case the problem seem to be related to the motor wiring harness connectors. As the motor draws quite a bit of current especially in city mode the connectors with age weaken and start failing causing voltage fluctuation which the power steering ECU detects and then powersteering is disabled with warning light indicating. After applying some contact cleaner to the contacts the power steering started to work reliable.

I am interrested to know if the steering is lighter when the power steering motor is removed from the column.

I drove the car with non working power steering and the steering is very heavy not usable, at least twice as heavy as my non power steering Mk1 Punto.

The problem with the powersteering on the Mk2 is that it can fail while on a move and if it happens while cornerring I hate to imagine how to negatiate the situation.

Cleaning the connectors to the power steering and at the battery will help.
As for failing on the go there is this new idea the driving instructors have come up with. It's called putting the phone down and putting both hands on the wheel. It will be rolled out on a trial basis in 2017 subject to DoT approval. :)

mk1 got 13" wheels and is lighter than mk2
My mk1 has 14" standard allows, the tires are slightly smaller diameter as they are 165/65R14 instead of 165/70R14. Also the weight of the cars according to the manuals is same at under 900kg.

Back