Technical What oil do you use?

Currently reading:
Technical What oil do you use?

Ive had my 145hp 595 for around a month now and its has roughly around 700miles. The oil level has gone done slightly in this time so I bought some more from desira on eBay. I looked in the handbook to see what i need and it says SELENIA ABARTH 10W 50 fully sythentic? £20 for a litre btw.

Just wanted to know if thats what everyone else is using because I can't find the oil thread on here where there were people with different views on it.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 234
I put Castrol Edge fully Synthetic in my Daughter's multijet as I have always sworn by it and it quietened it down a fair bit. It wasn't far off that price but I know I can trust it.
HTH

Not sure about alternatives for the Abarth engines, but that same oil in 2l format is available for £21.47 (inclusive of VAT) from Shop4Parts website.

You would need to pay delivery of just over £7 on that single item (taking it to just over £28 all in), but if you can find another £4 worth of stuff, delivery is free to UK mainland addresses for orders over £25.

Either way a lot cheaper!

I put Castrol Edge fully Synthetic in my Daughter's multijet as I have always sworn by it and it quietened it down a fair bit. It wasn't far off that price but I know I can trust it.
HTH

I've has good service from Catrols diesel oils too, :)

but the OP has a realtively high performance Petrol

IF you buy from Shop4parts you'll get the 10% forum discount - often covers the postage costs..(y)

So desira have shafted me again lol good stuff, will look for a better deal next time. It hadn't used a lot maybe its just part of engine run in

Last edited:
Yet another what oil thread.:): The power of advertising seems to work on some, but those in the know will not pay over the odds for basically oil that is well over priced. Look beyond the spiel & you will discover other alternatives at far better prices. It would be beneficial for some to actually read up about the truths & myths of engine oils. You may have your eyes opened. Court cases/misleading advertising/companies being sued.

Just re-read the thread and the fact that the car is only a month old, I wouldn't be looking at using anything other than the specified Selenia oil.

OK, it ain't cheap, but it's a trivial amount extra to pay when your car costs as much as a new Abarth. Just my personal opinion though!

To be fair Super Uwe, gone are the days, certainly in my case, where the brand of oil mattered. So for my own application, I absolutely refuse to pay £40 plus for top high end branded 5w30 acea c3 fully synth, when the likes of Asda occsionally on promotions, push out 5 litres of what is labelled as having exactly the same specs as the ridiculously overpriced stuff, for just £14. Yup, that's correct, a few weeks back, I bought 5 litres of 5w30 acea c3 for just £13.99 at my local Asda and my own engine is running absolutely fine on it, but then I do change the oil and filter every 5k miles.

To be fair Super Uwe, gone are the days, certainly in my case, where the brand of oil mattered. So for my own application, I absolutely refuse to pay £40 plus for top high end branded 5w30 acea c3 fully synth, when the likes of Asda occsionally on promotions, push out 5 litres of what is labelled as having exactly the same specs as the ridiculously overpriced stuff, for just £14. Yup, that's correct, a few weeks back, I bought 5 litres of 5w30 acea c3 for just £13.99 at my local Asda and my own engine is running absolutely fine on it, but then I do change the oil and filter every 5k miles.

Totally agree, often EuroCarParts have BOGOF so you get 10L for £25 which is the same spec, over many years using generally whatever was cheapest in the correct spec I've had no problems under "normal" driving conditions.

Ive had my 145hp 595 for around a month now and its has roughly around 700miles. The oil level has gone done slightly in this time so I bought some more from desira on eBay. I looked in the handbook to see what i need and it says SELENIA ABARTH 10W 50 fully sythentic? £20 for a litre btw.

Just wanted to know if thats what everyone else is using because I can't find the oil thread on here where there were people with different views on it.

Thanks in advance!
IMHO, as a rule of thumb , stick to manufactures advice. However none of the "premium brand"(shell, castrol, etc...) oils are "bad"....avoid generic ones at all costs especially when dealing with the higher hp "tuned" engines....

yeah tbh so long as I'm not going through £20 worth of oil each month its nice to have that peace of mind that you're using the best possible oil.

Thats ridiculous, branding is the biggest joke ever. Just make sure the oil is the right spec!

I actually downloaded the specs of oil of Aral 5W-40 C3 and they were far superior to 'Castrol' Magnatec 5W-40 C3. I have done 22,000 kms on this oil and the oil consumption is almost 0! Insane and aral 5W-40 C3 costs me 6 EUR a liter!

yeah tbh so long as I'm not going through £20 worth of oil each month its nice to have that peace of mind that you're using the best possible oil.

you'd be daft to potentially invalidate your warranty - for the few quid saving on oil.
my TA is on Selenia..as it's what the car was designed to run on.. ,and the "Multiair" units are not a quick and cheap item to replace.

Back in the day my OH ran an oil testing lab , and it transpired that
B&Q's budget oil was exactly the same spec. as a major worldwide brand - I wonder where they'd sourced their oil..

needless to say I stocked-up on the B&Q - as it was £2.5o compared to £12 :D

you'd be daft to potentially invalidate your warranty - for the few quid saving on oil.
my TA is on Selenia..as it's what the car was designed to run on.. ,and the "Multiair" units are not a quick and cheap item to replace.

Back in the day my OH ran an oil testing lab , and it transpired that
B&Q's budget oil was exactly the same spec. as a major worldwide brand - I wonder where they'd sourced their oil..

needless to say I stocked-up on the B&Q - as it was £2.5o compared to £12 :D
its impossible to invalidate your warranty using the same spec oil. Selenia is overpriced rubbish.

its impossible to invalidate your warranty using the same spec oil. Selenia is overpriced rubbish.

Example;
if you post pics of your brand new car on a public forum ,
then announce you've bought 5 litres of oil for £3

and then suffer a not directly related failure -- Crankshaft breakage - whatever.. occurrs,
you'd run the risk of the warranty claim being denied..:eek:

as I said ; you'd be daft for the sake of @£20 of oil.

of course..
once you've changed suspension , chipped it, and fitted a cat free zorst.. then what does it matter.., ;)
Charlie

Back