Technical Panda Cross spare wheel -Spacesaver?

Currently reading:
Technical Panda Cross spare wheel -Spacesaver?

Oli 1

I am expecting delivery of new Cross in January. My previous Fiat was the Trekking model 2013.

I used a space saver spare wheel which on the one occasion I found it necessary to fit through up a warning light with exclamation symbol ( ! ) Most concerning but had to drive about 2 miles to base.

If I transfer this wheel which is less diameter than alloys to the new Cross and keep transmission in normal drive mode can anyone tell me if this will cause damage to the transmission in any way for a short distance?
I very dislike the compressor and tyre sealant which is the standard fitment for this car.
My supplying dealer reassures me there is not a problem with a space saver for limited travel. Many thanks in anticipation- Peter

My supplying dealer reassures me there is not a problem with a space saver for limited travel.

I'd agree with your dealer - the car is designed to cope with different wheels rotating at different speeds, or it'd never go round corners.

I can imagine it trigggering the TPMS, though.

Thanks for our quick response. Can I take it that the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System will not be damaged? I guess its a way of reminding the driver to get the tyre/wheel changed asap with the warning light in operation.
If I fitted a 16inch spare wheel as the others this would overcome any concerns.
But-would it fit in the rear lower compartment ?

Peter

I'd check first that the Trekking spacesaver is compatible with the Cross. I recall from a previous discussion about jacks that they may be different.
My Cross came with the spacesaver as standard.

As an aside, it seems bizarre that my original Panda 4x4, a 1984 model, came with a full sized spare despite being a smaller car! It's a pity Fiat couldn't find a way to accommodate one in the new models, especially as they advertise the off road credentials of this model.

The Cross has bigger wheels than the Trekking or 4x4, so the disparity in circumference would be greater but there's no issue with the Spacesaver on the 4x4.

The original Panda had a huge amount of space under the bonnet - it was longer than necessary for the transverse four-cylinder engine to accommodate the in-line twin and gearbox from the 126, not offered in the UK.

Back