Technical Abarth 595 does it have Stop/Start

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth 595 does it have Stop/Start

Freelancer

As title says does the 595 Abarth have stop/start as I notice the button is gone from the usual place its currently occupying on my 500TA?

Also is there anyplace to download the manual from for the current version, would like to read it before mine arrives.

Cheers

Where's the evidence of more engine wear? Prius taxis do 500k miles and their engine stops basically whenever the driver lifts off the throttle. People seem to forget that a piston moving up and down 800 times a minute is causing at least as much wear as a hot start.

I was in a taxi recently yes it was very quiet when it stopped but it did not start "instantly " more like you manually cranking it over for several revolutions before going which still makes me think how it/the engine may perform at say nine years old in this regard?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Stop/Start on a turbo'd petrol engine could reduce the life of the turbo? Especially in the application of the Abarth versions which could potentially be used on full chat. The heat generated at the turbo could cook the oil when the engine is stopped and lead to premature turbo bearing failure. This is one reason why a lot of modified turbo'd car owners fitted turbo-timers to prevent this issue.
It's not much of a problem on turbo-diesels as the exhaust doesn't get nearly as hot as a petrol one.

Having stop/start on the abarth is a daft idea IMO.

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Stop/Start on a turbo'd petrol engine could reduce the life of the turbo? Especially in the application of the Abarth versions which could potentially be used on full chat. The heat generated at the turbo could cook the oil when the engine is stopped and lead to premature turbo bearing failure. This is one reason why a lot of modified turbo'd car owners fitted turbo-timers to prevent this issue.
It's not much of a problem on turbo-diesels as the exhaust doesn't get nearly as hot as a petrol one.

I don't think it's daft.
Why not have it selectable? Default being the non S/S.

I know someone with an Abarth 500 and she doesn't go racing or driving it at full chat. She just likes the sportiness and power of the car.

Mick.

I don't think it's daft.
Why not have it selectable? Default being the non S/S.

I know someone with an Abarth 500 and she doesn't go racing or driving it at full chat. She just likes the sportiness and power of the car.

Mick.

Not saying everyone with an Abarth drive like that ;) Some do, and that might be why they decided to omit the feature from production for a reliability standpoint.

That's my take on it anyway :)

I've seen the issue of s/s on turbo charged engines raised a few times here. I currently run a BMW 1 series turbo petrol and had an Audi A1 before that. In most modern engines, the turbo is water cooled rather than old-school oil cooled so oil coking on shutdown is effectively eliminated by design. Less so on the BMW but definitely on the Audi, the coolant pump could be heard running for a few seconds after the engine was switched off. I'd be surprised if the 595 was massively different in engineering.

Reactions: UFI
I've seen the issue of s/s on turbo charged engines raised a few times here. I currently run a BMW 1 series turbo petrol and had an Audi A1 before that. In most modern engines, the turbo is water cooled rather than old-school oil cooled so oil coking on shutdown is effectively eliminated by design. Less so on the BMW but definitely on the Audi, the coolant pump could be heard running for a few seconds after the engine was switched off. I'd be surprised if the 595 was massively different in engineering.

Not so much a problem with an electric water pump then, not sure if the Abarth has one though

How does this affect the Twinair turbo with S/S?

If I've just been thrashing it, I won't let the car immediately S/S. Otherwise with the water cooled turbo it's a non issue really, particularly if you coast to a stop, then the turbo's just pumping cool (ish) air prior to shut down.

If I've just been thrashing it, I won't let the car immediately S/S. Otherwise with the water cooled turbo it's a non issue really, particularly if you coast to a stop, then the turbo's just pumping cool (ish) air prior to shut down.

Mine's in little danger then... Never really thrashed it; more lack of opportunity than excess of prudence though.

Thanks UFI.

Thanks all for the replies, only wondered as the current 105TA I have now has S/S I don't find it an issue, unless the traffic is a little stop/start <1min which I think makes S/S a bit of a PITA.

I just wondered as I didn't see the S button below the TTC one.

No S/S thank goodness.
Other cars we had that came with it I always turned it off

Back