Brakes failing! please help

Currently reading:
Brakes failing! please help

KitCat

Hi everyone

Im fairly new here but I dont know what else to do....
So:
last week on my 45min commute, i applied the brakes at a cross road and although the pedal went to the floor i was still going into the middle of the road.
I managed to stop (luckily the road was empty) and carried on my journey.
Took the car to the garage that weekend to have the breaks checked - apparently all fine apart from a couple of heat spots on the front breaks.

On the commute yesterday I tried to apply the brakes coming when approaching a T junction and the pedal was solid. It would not depress at all. I went hurtling towards a large tree and luckilly was stopped by the bank of grass about a foot from crashing.
I drove the car to my work and get breakdown assist to take the car to my local garage to be checked.
They have called today saying they cant find anything wrong with the brakes or pedals at all and said they can change the brake fluid if i want for £50 - which i told them to do.
I am meant to collect the car tomorrow morning but I am so scared this will happen again.
I am going to drive it home and get the bus to work instead!

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or where I can turn to next?
Family keep saying they will drive it and test it or they will sit with me but i dont want them in the car incase something happens and i end up in a lampost or killing someone!

It has really shaken me up to the point where I am trying to get rid of my lil car even though I love it to pieces.

Fiat 500, 1.3 sport, 2009 "Diego"

Thank you
KitCat

Hi KitCat.

the 2 x times you've mentioned are odd , because they are in essence different scenario's

this thread regarding TMS500 is kind of similar..https://www.fiatforum.com/500/304266-brake-problems.html

I see you've had a fair few parts / issues over the term of ownership..,
how many miles on the car now..??

getting the fluid changed is certainly a good thing,

does the car have ABS..? I suspect it does,

Charlie - Oxford

Last edited:
a sticky brake can cause complete brake failure
had it a few times
not a nice feeling
ive had it on a brand new car being delivered to a dealer and on a car just tested
its usually caused by a sticky brake causing heat build up and causing the fluid to boil
so changing the fluid is important but so is rectification of the cause be it faulty brake calliper or overtight rear drum
is one of the handbrake cables sticky is a classic

Hi KitCat.

the 2 x times you've mentioned are odd , because they are in essence different scenario's

this thread regarding TMS500 is kind of similar..https://www.fiatforum.com/500/304266-brake-problems.html

I see you've had a fair few parts / issues over the term of ownership..,
how many miles on the car now..??

getting the fluid changed is certainly a good thing,

does the car have ABS..? I suspect it does,

Charlie - Oxford

Yes it has abs and it's done 64k miles now.
Just got it back from the garage after fluid change but they can't do anything else now.

Yes it has abs and it's done 64k miles now.
Just got it back from the garage after fluid change but they can't do anything else now.

Hi, :)
the fluid change could well be all was needed, (y)

:idea: but for your own satisfaction try this;

see IF you can reach the 4 x bolt heads - that hold the wheels on

these are bolted within 6 inches of the brake faces of each wheel.;)

if they're covered.. or inaccessible to you ,
just feel the outer face if the wheel , or trim ( NOT TYRE)

after any journey , have a quick feel for differences in temperature..

should just be cool to Warm - be careful..!! as one wheel could be HOT.. the heat being indicative of the brake on that corner rubbing.;)

Charlie

Back