Technical Strada 130TC Abarth: new purchase, parts needed!

Currently reading:
Technical Strada 130TC Abarth: new purchase, parts needed!

iainhk

Hi all,

I've just bought a 1984 Strada 130TC Abarth, and it needs a bit of attention (see P.S.). Luckily, I have a garage whose owner used to work on Fiat Stradas in the 80s (see had a 105TC he prepared for race).

I have managed to source a windscreen from Autoglass, and an exhaust.
Edit: Autoglass #may # be able to source the windscreen!

Front brakes I have found on eBay; I managed to get a bearing on eBay as well.

If anyone has any guidance on where to source the suspension arms, or anything else, that would be great!

Best
Iain

P.S.

• Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
  • offside front brake binding (3.7.B.1)
  • offside front brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)
  • front Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick (3.5.1g)
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
  • Windscreen has damage to an area in excess of a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
  • Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
  • Exhaust system not adequately supported (7.1.1)
  • nearside front outer Anti-roll bar rubber mounting deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • nearside front lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
  • offside front lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement inner bush (2.4.G.2)
  • offside Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated (2.6.1)

Attachments

• strada.png
    strada.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hi what parts are after? parts for MOT advisory just finish second 130tc maybe can help

Finally, my 130TC has it's MOT! The result of 4 months of parts hunting and a custom-made windscreen from Pilkingtons!

Will post in full with pictures etc.

Iain

This is good news.

Re: the pilkingtons screen.

a) how much did it cost?

b) did they make from scratch using resurrected tooling or did they cut an existing current production screen down to size?

See attached. The screen cost 260 approx., and there was an 8 week lead. They can supply all other glass for the 130TC as well, as far as I remember. They make it from scratch, from the original blueprint. Karen Ward (email in the image attached) is the person you want to speak to, she sorted it all out, including the pick-up from one of their warehouses in Glasgow (I transported it myself to a garage, who fitted it for me).

I overhead one of the Glasgow Pilkington warehouse employees say, "...smashed to smithereens" after I had given them my details, luckily it wasn't mine!

Best
Iain

Attachments

• pilkingtons.png
    pilkingtons.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 89
A few initial thoughts on the Strada 130TC Abarth, having had it on the road for a few weeks.

I bought it from an auction for 4000, knowing it would need a few thousand spent, and happily this was the case. The main problems were getting TCAs (eventually on eBay) and the windscreen (Pilkingtons, after talking to numerous suppliers and an Autoglass knockback); I managed to get all other parts (stainless steel exhaust, brake parts, bearings, hubs) via eBay (few trial and errors with precise hubs). Some welding was needed, and rust treatment around the windscreen area on glass removal (and other places). In short, my budget is spent!

It has also had a full service, multiple electrical repairs, new plugs, new wipers etc etc. The carbs were cleaned and adjusted professionally; I know that there is an art to getting these optimal for the 130TC (http://sfconline.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=287), and it feels pretty sharp to me (by a fiat expert).

Next step is to address the bodywork (a few visible bubbles, work needed mainly under one wheel arch), and ensure maintained / driven regularly!

Best
Iain

MOT Advisories (any help on these appreciated):
------------------------------------------------------

Advisory notice item(s)

nearside front Tie bar/rod rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement front bushes (2.4.G.2)
offside front Tie bar/rod rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement front bush (2.4.G.2)

Last edited:
Setting up the cars is "an art" that has to be done right.

I do my own setups and have designed my own electronic balancer. No need for a rolling road UNLESS you are looking at a jet/air corrector/emulsifier changes. The standard factory jetting is pretty damn good on both the Solex and Webber units. For setting mixture levels then the exhaust manifold has "tap" points. To use these you need a special high temperature tester as Standard equipment just get melted by the excessive heat and flames present on the exhaust ports. I use alternative combustion flame inspection on each cylinder coupled with final exhaust CO level measurement.

That 130TC is also strangulated to some extent by the air box intake.

What screwed most UK 130TCs is that some arrived badly synchronised/and/or poor mixture settings. If they were OK from the factory then for some reasons the dealers messed with them. If bad from factory they were invariably worse still after the dealer tried to fix them.

Something YOU MUST carefully check is the lower airbox support bracket back to the engine block. This attached to the cold formed airbox backing plate. Being cold formed and some 3mm thick it is VERY brittle and most will fractured around the bolt eye hole. This means the full weight of the carbs and air box are just hanging on the carb rubber spacer plates/manifold. Couple this with the airbox top lid contacting/bouncing against the underside of the bonnet when the engine rocks and expensive damage/wear will follow.

Regarding the MOT tie bar advisories.

I don't know of any Strada/Regatta that does not show signs of deterioration. These are substantial bushes the tend to show exterior surface cracking but that it all. On the inside then are normally perfectly OK hence no play/movement being detected. I got a spare set for our 130TC since I noticed these cracks some 20+ years ago and still have not found a need to replace them.

Last edited:
Best bet for front bushes, are poly ones. Easy to fit, and will never perish.
Like Nick says, the backing plate rubbers perish. Cannot remember, but a guy through the Dutch Fiat club, sells better ones, that are much stronger.
Most Stradas were fitted with Solex Carbs. The spindles have a tendency to seize, or bend, resulting in poor running. Check your spindles!!
Do NOT run synthetic oil in your twin cam. They love nice thick 15/40, or 15/50. Synthetic will just pour out.
And last, enjoy the best hot hatch of its time!

Andy

Back