Technical Brake Fluid Change

Currently reading:
Technical Brake Fluid Change

chas379

72 Year Old teenager
My Oh has just had a letter from the dealer stating that in line with manufacturer's recommendations, her 1.2 Lounge, coming up to 2 yrs old, is due to have a brake fluid change.

She is on her 3rd 500 one at 12 months ol and the other 2 from New) and has never had this request before, even though we put the car in every 12 months for an oil and filter change and whatever needs to be done.

Seeing that the car will be changed in 12 months time (at 3 yrs old) would not having the brake fluid change affect the 3rd year warranty???

Is it just a canvassing letter for the dealers to make a little more money?

Changing the brake fluid now will reduce the chance of the car needing an expensive brake repair once it's 7+ yrs old.

Think of it as an investment to help some future poor sod who's trying to run it on a tighter budget than yourself.

Also if you've still got the car by the time its 3rd yr service is due, you'll definitely need to do it then anyway, so doing it now won't cost you any more by the time you trade it in.

Better still, do it yourself and it'll cost you less than a tenner. Do the clutch at the same time, for the same reasons.

Last edited:
I'm actually quite amazed your dealer has sent a letter like that, simply because they are right lol! I have low expectations though...

Brake fluid has always been on the official schedule with 2 year/18,000 mile intervals. I am guessing it is still the same now. If your previous 500s were serviced at year 2 by a dealer, then the brake fluid should have been done for you.

As for mucking up the warranty, always a grey area IMO. Obviously if you had a claim for something that had absolutely nothing to do with the brakes, then they would have difficulty getting away with it.

As JR says, you would do well to get it done now to keep things sweet.

Thanks for the input, I'll persuade to have it done when we take it for 2nd annual service in Nov.

Afraid I'm slightly out of the Fiat loop since I have now migrated to Jaguar with an XE and got 3 yrs servicing for £400 so just let them get on with it.(y)

Last edited:
Back