Technical Immobiliser/won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Immobiliser/won't start

paulf2012

All,

Been looking for a battery drain on my 07 1.3 GP MultiJet:

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/442627-battery-drain-problem.html

The immobiliser warning has come on (car symbol + padlock). This hasn't happened before - even with the recent battery drain problem.

Left the battery disconnected overnight, and re-connected (fully charged) battery this morning, but it is still there.

Can anyone suggest how to reset it/clear this, as I can't start it...

Thanks in advance/paul

Charge or replace the battery.
Check fusebox for water under it.
Check ground cables for corrosion.

Thanks cmosfxx & Andy for replies & suggestions:

1. Freshly charged battery (gave 12.8 V when I connected it) didn't clear it
2. Spare key also didn't do it
3. Ground points looked OK, but removed & cleaned (wire brush/emery) chassis point (by washer bottle), one on engine, and one next to ECU - still the same (immobiliser icon still there, won't engage solenoid for starting)
4. Fuse box innards looked dry - tried to remove it anyway, but couldn't undo the connectors from underneath (looks like the grey plastic should slide back, but it wouldn't go - not sure what I'm missing here)

Just a thought: is there any kind of sequence to "re-synch" the key, if they aren't being recognised by the ECU - e.g. lock/unlock, then try to start? Tried to find the owners manual, only to be told it had got wet and been thrown out :eek:

Starting to think I'll need to get a mobile auto electrician across tomorrow...

Thanks again/paul

You have to plug a diagnostic tool and read the stored errors then. Don't let the immo light fool you, this can mean a voltage problem somewhere and have nothing to do with the actual immo/key etc.

I still believe the problem is electrical (fuse/relay/cable problem)

Keep us updated!

Quick update: went to have another go at getting the fusebox out, yesterday. Reconnected the battery just to try it first, and it worked - started, no immobiliser symbol, with either key.

Strongly suspect the problem was damp in the fusebox, as cmosfxx/Andy suggested. Took a lot of care getting the cover fitted properly this time (not 100 % sure it was fully locked-down before).

So far, so good... will also get an OBD code reader, in case the immobiliser problem happens again, to give another option to try to fix/reset.

Thanks again for the suggestions & useful pointers/Paul

Back